Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Love Kale!!

Belle, could you share how you are growing your kale? I have limited sunny window space, but would love to have a mini indoor 'garden' to keep us w/fresh veggies through the winter

OH OH OH! I can contribute something super duper cool to this thread! If you don't like Kale, but want the nutritional benefits, you can put it in smoothies! :)
    I have a vitamix, and this is what I put in my smoothie (you can't even taste the kale )

1 cup raw carrot
    4 stalks kale
    2 cups pineapple (or oranges- both mask the Kale flavor)
    1 cup frozen mixed berries
    ice
    water

YUMMY!

Here is a site that outlines the health benefits of kale, it's a super food!
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=38

We had 6 plants this year, the first time we've grown kale, and have come to love it ourselves. We harvested as we needed it, biggest leaves first, and used it as the only green in salads a number of times. Sometimes we went fancy, with onions, mushrooms, squash or cucumber, carrots, radish, etc., and sometimes we had just the kale and our favorite dressing.

In our favorite dish made with kale, I sauteed onions & mushrooms in butter, in a good sized pot, added 3 or 4 cups water, turned up the heat a bit, and cooked down a good amount of kale in this, like you would spinach, covered. I then added sliced radish, sliced carrot, cubed potato,and 1 "rope" of a kielbasa type sausage, cut into 3/4 in. segments. Add garlic cloves or powder to taste, fresh ground pepper, a touch of salt, and another 2 tablespoons or so of butter just before you serve it. Because the kielbasa is pre-cooked, it's the potato that really needs the simmer time, 45 minutes should do it.

I lived in the south for awhile, and this satisfies a hankering for overcooked greens, which I get from time to time.
    "We have to rebuild in a way that you will not be victimized by a similar storm again, because we don't - we're just wasting money, and we're essentially engaging in false advertising that what we're doing is restoring you to your situation that existed before the storm.”

Joe Biden

Quote Originally Posted by chasingdreams View Post
    Belle, could you share how you are growing your kale? I have limited sunny window space, but would love to have a mini indoor 'garden' to keep us w/fresh veggies through the winter
    I planted seeds in a cat litter box filled about 3/4 full with potting soil. I have the box under a CFL light, about 4 inches away. The light is in one of those clamp-on light fixtures, affixed to the edge of a shelf and the cat litter box is sitting on coffee cans on the floor.

I am growing 3 kinds of lettuce the same way.
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

My favorite kale recipe is to sauteed in olive oil with some chopped garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt/pepper. Add a little chicken broth and cover until tender. Serve with grilled sausage.

Kale + garlic +potatoes +any type of smoked sausage +chicken bouillon = winner

My favorite way is to steam it and then serve with vinegar and/or lemon juice. Yum.
    As an aside, I planted some this spring and what I have looks way more like mustard or turnip greens. The package said Russian Kale and it isn't the coarse blue curly kale that I love. Fair warning.

I fry potatoes and then add the kale till soft and serve. I'm sure frying it probably kills all the nutritional benefits!

Will someone tell me what your Kale looks like?? I bought a green that was very, very bitter (not dandelions). I thought it was kale and I have never tried it again. I have a feeling, reading all your loves of it, that it wasn't really kale that I bought. Help please. Thanks, AL

Portuguese Kale soup! Yum!!!!! An absolute staple food in these parts!