Thread: Sweet Potato Donuts

Default Sweet Potato Donuts

We just finished harvesting sweet potatoes and I just had to share this recipe!

3 1/2 c flour
    1 c sugar
    2 t baking powder
    1/2 t baking soda
    1/2 t cinnamon
    1/2 t salt
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 c clabber (can also use sour cream or yogurt)
    1 c mashed sweet potato (cooked)

Combine the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl combine the wet ingredients. Gradually add the flour mix, stirring well. Turn onto heavily floured surface and knead the sticky dough by hand. Roll out to 1/2 inch thick and cut.

fry in 360 degree oil until lightly browned.
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

Question

Micah, could you substitute pumpkin or squash for the sweet potatoes?

Quote Originally Posted by Jbuck View Post
    Micah, could you substitute pumpkin or squash for the sweet potatoes?
    Absolutely, but not spaghetti squash as that would change the texture.
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

sounds really good. i think any winter squash would work. but I think I will make sweet potato.
    momof23goats