Thread: Does anyone have a Roasted Pork Soup Recipe?

Default Does anyone have a Roasted Pork Soup Recipe?

Hi All, My grandma, used the make the most fantastic roast pork soup with the bones and meat leftover from the roast. It had a very smooth base of lightly tomato taste and look. It was my very, very favorite as a small child and I have tried everything I can think of to duplicate it without coming out the same. If you have a fantastic recipe, I would be so grateful. (like most of us, we don't really use recipes, just go with what we have always known and done, so I cannot find anything written by her on it.) Thanks, AL

Default This is basically what I do

It's easier for me to find a recipe that's already written than to type one up myself. This is basically what I do (just without the apple juice and add a mix of herbs equivalent to Italian Seasoning to taste):

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Roast-Pork-Soup

Roast Pork Soup

This well-seasoned satisfying soup has a rich full-bodied broth brimming with tender chunks of pork, potatoes and navy beans. "It has been a family favorite for years," notes Sue Gulledge of Springville, Alabama. "Served with corn bread, it's one of our comfort foods in winter."
    SERVINGS: 9
    CATEGORY: Lower Fat
    METHOD: Other stovetop
    TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 55 min.

Ingredients:

• 3 cups cubed cooked pork roast
    • 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
    • 1 large onion, chopped
    • 1 can (15 ounces) navy beans, rinsed and drained
    • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
    • 4 cups water
    • 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
    • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
    • Minced fresh basil

Directions:

In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Sprinkle with basil. Yield: 9 servings.

Thank you Sustainable. I appreciate your help. It doesn't look like my grandma's but I will give it a go. I am such a soup lover. Hubby is not, but I often use it for my lunch and make him something more substantial. To me soup is not only comforting, it has to be wonderfully nourishing with all the juices from the veggies in the broth. AL