Thread: Depression era pie recipes

Default Depression era pie recipes

Vinegar Pie
    (my husband loves this, but he also loves straight vinegar on salad)
    1 c. brown sugar (white will work also)
    2 c. water
    1 c. vinegar
    2 T. butter
    1/2 c. flour and a little cold water
    1 pastry

Combine sugar, water and vinegar and bring to a boil. Add butter and stir till it melts. Mix the flour with a little cold water to make a smooth slurry. Add this to the boiling liquid slowly, and stir till thickened. Line a pie plate with your pastry. Pour in filling and cover with strips of pastry in lattice fashion. Bake 10 minutes at 450 degrees, then reduce to 350 degrees and bake for 25 minutes more.

Ugly But Good Pie

1 unbaked pastry
    6 T sugar
    3 T flour
    6 T brown sugar
    1 C milk
    3 T butter
    cinnamon

Mix sugar and flour; put into bottom of pie crust. Sprinkle
    brown sugar over mixture, pour milk over all, dot with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon. Do not mix! Bake at 350 degrees
    approximately 35 minutes or until filling is set.

Buttermilk Pie

4 eggs, beaten
    1 c buttermilk

1 T flour
    2 1/2 c sugar (white, brown or mixed depending on taste)
    1/2 cup butter

1 t Vanilla or Almond Extract (matter of preference)

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees .

Cream sugar and butter well. Mix in flour, Add eggs, buttermilk, vanilla. Pour mixture into unbaked pastry. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Raisin Pie
    Pastries for double crust pie
    2 1/2 c. raisins
    3/4 c. pecans (or any nuts - and optional)
    3/4 c. sugar
    3/4 c. brown sugar
    Cornstarch
    1 tsp. lemon juice

Simmer raisins until puffy by boiling in water (about 1 1/2 cups). Add sugar and simmer a few more minutes. Add lemon juice. Add walnuts.
    Mix a supply of cornstarch and water and start adding to the raisins mixture, stirring constantly. When it has reached a pudding consistency, remove from fire. Pour into the shell-lined pie plate and then cover with top crust. Brush top crust with cream or milk. Bake until brown (approximately 350 degrees for about 30 minutes).
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

Default Yum!!!

Those sound WONDERFUL!!
    I will have to try thrm for church suppers on Wednesdays!!
    Vinegar pie sounds AWESOME! (I LOVE vinegar!)
    Hebrews 12:2 - 29 RSV
    ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
    "Give me liberty or give me death"
    Patrick Henry
    “All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.”
    Edmund Burke

Default Impossible Pie

4 eggs
    1/2 c. butter or margarine
    1/2 c. flour
    2 c. milk
    1 c. sugar
    1 c. flaked or shredded coconut
    2 tsp. vanilla

Blend all in Blender for a few seconds, until well mixed. Pour mixture into greased 10" pie tin. Bake at 350 for about 1 hour (center will test firm).
    The flour settles to form the crust, coconut floats to top to form topping, and rest forms a nice egg custard filling.