Thread: Home Made Bread

Default Home Made Bread

Betsy Baker gave me a recipe for Outback Bread
    I haven't made homemade bread in a long time.
    Last night ,a made a batch and it was so-so
    This morning, I made another batch. I changed the recipe a little and it tasted it a little better today.
    Next batch, I will use less honey.. I find it was a little too sweet for my liking.

It was fun making bread again.
    DH was proud of me!! He loves hot fresh bread.

Just wanted to share with you... That I am learning to make things at home now and trying not to lean so much on store bought stuff.

My next trip to town, I want to get me a dehydrator.
    Genesis 12:3
    And I will bless those who bless you
    And curse those who curse you
    And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxHI5...eature=related

I've been making bread and I finally have learned a few things. Since all the recipes I tried didn't work, and I got tired af making bread pudding, I started changing things. A little more water makes the dough rise like it should. In this area all bread recipes need more water than called for. I also tried bread flour instead of the all-purpose flour. Bread flour has slightly more protein, which helps the rising. Then I decided to ignore my 93 yo mother's advice and let the bread rise 40 minutes instead of 30. That also helps. Next time I will let it rise even more. The volume is supposed to double, and 40 minutes is not quite enough to double. Too much water and the dough will flow over the edge of the pan when it rises, so if that happens use a little less water. I use my bread machine to do the kneading, so there is no other change possible.

My yeast has been in the freezer for three years and I was not sure it was still good. I sprinkled a bit in sugar water and it foamed up just fine, so I still use it but I use 3 tsps instead of 1 1/2.

Other things I have tried are adding 1/2 cup oatmeal, and using half bread flour and half whole wheat. Both work well. I don't really care for 100% whole wheat, but half & half is pretty good. Mom suggested brushing the top of the loaf with melted butter before baking, but I can't detect much difference when I do that.

BTW, definitely buy your yeast by the pound at a restaurant supply store and keep it in the freezer. It costs only a few cents a loaf that way, and it will keep for years in the freezer. I have considered making sourdough, but that seems too much like raising a baby.

HI - can you post the recipe, I'd love to see it!

Also, yeast kept in the freezer may be good for 10 years, I've used it after 3 with no problems. You can test it by proofing it with some sugar or honey in warm water. If it fizzes up, its alive. If nothing happens, try it again and make sure the water wasn't too hot. If it still doesn't work, throw out and replace, but most of the time it will still be working though it may rise a bit more slowly than new yeast.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Default Outback Steakhouse Honey Wheat Bushman Bread

Betsy Baker said she modified it a bit..

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups warm water
    • 2 Tablespoons softened butter
    • 1/2 cup honey
    • 2 cups bread flour
    • 2 cups wheat flour
    • 1 Tablespoon cocoa
    • 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
    • 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 2 1/4 teaspoon yeast (I used 1 small envelope packet)
    • 1 teaspoon caramel coloring
    • 3 Tablespoon cornmeal, for dusting

Directions
    1- Place al of the ingredients in the bread machine in the order listed, and process on dough setting. The dough will be a little on the wet side and sticky but if it seems too wet, add more flour. When dough is done, let it rise for 1 hour

2- Remove from pan, punch down, and divide into 8 portions. Form portions into tubular shaped loaves about 6-8 inches long, and 2 inches wide.

3- Sprinkle the entire surface of the loaves with cornmeal, and place then on 2 cookied sheets. Cover and let rise for 1 hour

4- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Serve warm with whipped butter.

I do not use a bread machine. I do it the old fashioned way and let it rise, then shape, rise, then bake at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes

Thanks!
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Yum, we love Outback Bread. I'll have to give this a try.

Does anyone think that the Carmel Coloring is that important? That's the one ingredient I don't have.
    "It was you, Virgin Mary, who gave us this body and blood which raises our status so high that it is beyond the reach of the angels. May you be blessed throughout the world for giving us such a great gift" St. Louis de Monfort

Visit my ETSY shop at www.ToMarket.etsy.com

"If Samson could slay 1000 Philistines with only the jawbone of an ass, think what God could do with a complete ass." --St. John Vianney

I did not use the caramel coloring. I don't like using artificial stuff in my food.
    The coloring is only to make it look just like OutBack dark colored bread

I want y'all to know the reason my first batch was so-so is because I didn't follow the directions... I made some errors
    for instance..
    I used a tablespoon instead of a teaspoon for the coffee.
    So, I added 1 teaspoon to much for the recipe.

Then, I read the recipe wrong again and added a 1/2 teaspoon of honey instead of 1/2 cup.
    That batch was not sweet enough because of using only 1/2 teaspoon of honey instead of 1/2 cup.

This morning's batch..
    I left out the coffee and add the 1/2 cup of honey.
    Since it didn't have any coffee in this batch.. It was too much honey for the change in the recipe.

Next batch I will use 1/4 cup of honey.
    I am not a coffee drinker so I really didn't care for the coffee in the recipe.
    In fact, I don't know if it was the bread last night or what.. But I felt jittery a little while after eating it.. Maybe it was from the coffee in the bread.,, Too much caffeine.. coffee and chocolate

as close as you can get to Atlanta and still have chickens

Gen:, that sounds super tasty!! thanks for the post (and Betsy too)!!

patticakes
    Respect God. Love your family. What else is there?

Saul Mine, if your in a hurry for your bread to rise, set your oven to 400, wait 3 minutes then shut it OFF. Then cover your dough and set it in the oven. It'll rise in half the time. I do it with all my bread. It works great. Just remember you only want it warm in there so turn the oven off completely after 3 minutes. I do it for both risings.

Default Amish white bread

Amish White bread

2 cups warm water (110 degrees)
    2/3 cup white sugar
    2 TBS active dry yeast
    1 1/2 teaspoon of salt
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    6 cups white flour

1. In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.

2. Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time, sifting it in. Kneed dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth (about 8-10 minutes). Place in a well oiled bowl and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about an hour or two.

3. Punch down dough, knead for a few minutes and divide in half. Shape into loaves and place into two well oiled 9x5 loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes or until dough has risen at least one inch above the pans.

4. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Turn out onto rack to cool before slicing.

She