Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bible on One Page in Many Versions

Quote Originally Posted by alixi View Post
    Generally, I use the NKJV. Is this careful enough? (honest question) I grew up with KJV, and the NKJV is close and so that is what I gave to my kids. I don't know why, but I just like the cadence of the verses.
    I consider the New King James Version vry good. I like it too.
    John 14:6 New Living Translation (NLT)

6 Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.

Default On Gateway

One of my favorite features on the Gateway site is the audio option.
    There is a button at the top and bottom to listen to the scriptures that you have searched.

The voice belongs to Max McLean. His reading is awesome.

You can listen to a sample on his website.

Listen to todays Proverbs

Watch a sample performance of his
    Proverbs 29:25
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe.

Basic
    Instructions
    Before
    Leaving
    Earth

Excellent Post... Thanks to everyone for sharing the information.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by alixi View Post
    Generally, I use the NKJV. Is this careful enough? (honest question) I grew up with KJV, and the NKJV is close and so that is what I gave to my kids. I don't know why, but I just like the cadence of the verses.
    There are several ways of translating anything, including the Bible. The first is literal or (almost) word-for-word. This can be seen in the KJV & NASB. The next is dynamic equivalence, which is thought-for-thought. The NIV, NEB, & NKJV(?) are of this type. The third is a paraphrase, with the Living Bible, & Phillip's Translation as examples. There is also the strict-literal-word-for-word of the Interlinear Bibles, and what Bible scholars call "lousy" translations such as the New World translation. (Sorry, JWs, but that's what they consider it. Although they use fancier words than "lousy.")

An example could be:
    Original: “Las horas de la manana han de oro en sus bocas.”
    Interlinear: “The hours of the [morning, tomorrow] have of [gold,I-pray] in their mouths.”
    Literal: “The hours of the morning have gold in their mouths.”
    Dynamic: “Hard work will make you rich.”
    Paraphrase: “The early bird catches the worm.”

HTH,
    --Rich

Default Caution

Hello!

I am going to tread lightly here, since this is my first time on this message board, but I feel that I must speak up about about the NIV.

There are many changed words in that "Bible" that do not line up with the original translation. For example: In Isaiah 14:12, the NIV refers to, what would normally be the name Lucifer, as the "morning star". This name was also used to refer to Jesus. According to this verse, the "morning star fell from grace". And we all know that Jesus did not fall from grace.

Also, the NIV refers to homosexuals as "shrine prostitutes". This is clearly biased--and for good reason, as, apparently, one of the NIV's authors, Virginia Mollencott, is a radical feminist and lesbian.

I know there were others, but I'm afraid I can't pull them off the top of my head right now. (Still asleep. )

Thank you all and God bless,

Melodious Musician

An oldie but a goodie.

http://originalscriptures.org/
    Proverbs 29:2, "...when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn."

Acts 4:12
    "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."

Hebrews 13:8
    , "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever."

Revelation 3:11, "Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown."

Matthew 28:20, "...I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_0126 View Post
    An oldie but a goodie.

http://originalscriptures.org/
    Bookmarked that page, thanks!

I used to not even look at the NIV, thinking it was the "nearly inspired version"!! But then after listening to Russ Dizdar so much I realized that I was being too critical. He gets very upset when people shun different versions. He feels that as long as they bring people to Jesus Christ that it is the inspired Word of God. He has a good point. I have since brought out my NIV and refer to it now and then because it flows very easily. I always scrutinize it against the Hebrew anyway since I read and study Hebrew on a daily basis. I'm a KJV person for the most part in the N.T. and a Tanach for Gen-Malachi.

Thank you for these good posts and recommendations.

Blessings
    Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure." Isaiah 46:10

Quote Originally Posted by Bamidbar View Post
    One of my favorite resources is http://www.e-sword.net/. It is compartmentalized so you can insert the components that you want, such as various versions. And the price is right: free, but you can send in a donation, it is worth it.
    I have e-sword on my desktop. Can't live without it!
    Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure." Isaiah 46:10

Quote Originally Posted by SuePea View Post
    I have e-sword on my desktop. Can't live without it!
    Thank the Lord - and rick meyer - for e-sword! I've been using it for 10 years and couldnt do without it either.

Default Bible.cc

I use this site daily to create a bible study I send out. I prefer it because with the different versions verse by verse it includes several Bible commentaries versions of interpretation at the bottom of each verse.

http://bible.cc
    • Philippians 4:6-7 “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything through prayer with thanksgiving, let your requests be made know to God”
    The Apostle Paul told us to not worry about anything.
    What should we do instead of worrying?
    1. Pray for what you need as well as for what you want.
    2. Tell God that you are thankful for what he has already given you.
    3. Request from God everything you need for the day, every day.
    Libertatem a Calumnia (Freedom from Oppression)