Thread: One dish black-eyed pea cornbread

Default One dish black-eyed pea cornbread

1 lb spicy pork sausage
    1 med onion, diced
    1 c cornmeal (recipe calls for white, I used yellow...worked fine)
    1/2 c all purpose flour
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp bk soda
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 c buttermilk
    1/2 c oil ( I used about half this and it was fine)
    1 can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
    2 c shredded cheddar cheese
    3/4 c cream style corn
    1/4 c chopped jalapeno peppers (jar kind is fine), strictly optional
    1 4.5 oz can chopped green chillies

Mix cornmeal, flour, salt and bk soda. Mix eggs, buttermilk and oil. Mix wet into dry then add the rest of the ingredients. Stir only enough to mix. Pour into sprayed 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for about 1 hr. (only took 50 minutes in my oven...check it a little earlier than 1 hr). If you wish, top with sour cream and salsa!

Serves 6 as main dish, 8-12 as side.

I got my sausage on sale for $1.30 (Bob Evans breakfast sausage in a roll)
    and the rest of the ingredient/prices are from Save-A-Lot...cost per serving came to about $1.21. Not too bad for a main dish. Add in a glass of milk, tossed salad and you've got a meal for around $2.

Just thought...this could be made almost completely from prep-type supplies...Substitute canned ham or spam for the sausage and diced velveeta type cheese (no refrigeration needed, shelf life of roughly a century or so) for the cheddar.
    Last edited by Housekeeper; 12-29-2008 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Just thought of something...
    Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27