Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sloppy Joes

Default Sloppy Joes

I thought I would share my recipe. The family like these MUCH better than Manwich and they are cheap and easy. Put it on homemade buns and man-oh-man!!

Try it soon and enjoy!

Angel's Sloppy Joes

2 lbs ground beef
    1 rib celery, finely chopped
    1 medium onion, diced
    1/2 cup diced sweet pepper
    2 eight ounce cans tomato sauce
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/2 cup barbecue sauce (homemade or bottled)
    2 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
    2 tsp ground mustard
    2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
    hot sauce or ground cayenne, to taste (optional)

Brown the ground beef in a large skillet. Drain fat. Add the other ingredients to the drained ground beef. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until it is thick enough to spoon onto the buns.

Angel
    "There was one of two things I had a right to – liberty, or death.
    If I could not have one I would have the other; for no man should take me alive."
    Harriet Tubman

"The President eats dirt and excrement for his daily meals, likes it and tries to force it on The States."
    Walt Whitman

"The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in time of moral crisis, maintain their neutrality" Dante "The Inferno"

Sounds wonderful! Thank you - I am looking forward to trying this one.
    'A person with an experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument,'" writes von Campe

Yum! Manwich makes me sick when I eat it for some reason.

Btw I didn't even know that this subforum was here will have to add some of our own recipes.

Kimberly
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

If I were to make this up (without the ground beef) and can it - does anyone know what the processing would be?
    Would it be a water bath or pressure canner?

I am thinking pressure canner simply because of the sweet peppers and celery.
    'A person with an experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument,'" writes von Campe

Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    If I were to make this up (without the ground beef) and can it - does anyone know what the processing would be?
    Would it be a water bath or pressure canner?

I am thinking pressure canner simply because of the sweet peppers and celery.
    Emily,

Can without the ground beef in a boiling bath canner: 35 minutes for pints, 45 for quarts. The vinegar acidifies the sauce enough to can it in a boiling bath canner. Make sure to prepare the sauce (omitting the meat) as directed in the recipe and ladle in to the sterile jars hot from the pot. Follow regular boiling bath canning procedures as to lids, rings, etc.

hope this helps,

Angel
    "There was one of two things I had a right to – liberty, or death.
    If I could not have one I would have the other; for no man should take me alive."
    Harriet Tubman

"The President eats dirt and excrement for his daily meals, likes it and tries to force it on The States."
    Walt Whitman

"The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in time of moral crisis, maintain their neutrality" Dante "The Inferno"

Quote Originally Posted by AngelDance View Post
    Emily,

Can without the ground beef in a boiling bath canner: 35 minutes for pints, 45 for quarts. The vinegar acidifies the sauce enough to can it in a boiling bath canner. Make sure to prepare the sauce (omitting the meat) as directed in the recipe and ladle in to the sterile jars hot from the pot. Follow regular boiling bath canning procedures as to lids, rings, etc.

hope this helps,

Angel
    Yes - that is very helpful. Thank you. Being as it is just me - I couldn't possibly use up a full batch but I thought it I could can it - then I could make it up and store the rest for another day.

Thank you again!

Emily if you want to can it with the meat, I just did 30 pints of pulled pork, you will want to PC it for 85 minutes pints and 90 minutes quarts at 10 pounds of pressure for sea level or adjust according to your altitude.

Kimberly
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    Emily if you want to can it with the meat, I just did 30 pints of pulled pork, you will want to PC it for 85 minutes pints and 90 minutes quarts at 10 pounds of pressure for sea level or adjust according to your altitude.

Kimberly
    Excellent! Thank you.

AngelDance,

I just tried your Sloppy Joe recipe for the first time today.

It is absolutely delicious. Thank you for posting it.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    Yum! Manwich makes me sick when I eat it for some reason.

Btw I didn't even know that this subforum was here will have to add some of our own recipes.

Kimberly
    My daughter loves Manwich but I think it tastes horrible I am making this recipe TODAY! It sounds great (very close to what we made in the Army Mess Hall when I was a cook minus the diced sweet pepper), thank you for sharing.
    Last edited by Zarathustra; 03-30-2009 at 05:21 PM.