Thread: Italian Meatballs

Default Italian Meatballs

Here is a no fail recipe for meatballs. The only ones I have ever gotten to NOT fall apart lol. You can also freeze these too. Just drop them into your sauce or whatever and reheat.

She
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Italian Meatballs

2lb. ground meat (beef, deer, etc.)
    8-10 slices bread torn into small pieces
    2 eggs slightly beaten
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1 tsp. Italian seasoning
    2 tsp. parsley flakes
    1/4-1/2 C. grated parmesan cheese
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4-1/2 tsp. pepper

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Shape into small balls and put on baking sheet. Put in 350 degree pre-heated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.

Mmmmm...thanks! My meatballs sometimes fall apart. I'll try these next time I make meatballs.

I like dropping meatballs in a pineapple based sweet-n-sour sauce and serving over egg noodles.
    "Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready." Revelation 19:7

Oh Buttercup that sounds good! And where can we find a recipe for this delicious sounding feast?

She

She this sounds great, I will use it next time I make meatballs or meatloaf. I think it looks good for that too and stuffed peppers. Thanks, AL

For Swedish style meat balls omit the Italian seasoning, cheese, garlic and parsley. Instead use steamed, lightly browned or powdered onion (about 1 onion), a teaspoon or two of nutmeg (start with less), about 1 tsp of salt and a bit of pepper. If your bread is dry, pour milk or cream over it for about 15 minutes before making balls.

Then fry a few at a time in a pan or put on a rack in a hot oven. When I use the oven I often roll mine in flour.

For best Swedish style meatballs, mix your beef/venison with at least 1/3 to 1/2 pork. They really need the extra fat to taste right.

Serve either just out of the frying pan or simmering in a pot of beef broth. Lingenberry jelly is also nice, if you have a friend from Sweden to bring it over (or find a local deli).

When friend from Sweden was here we made tons of these but they did not last long during the New Years party!

Oh and they are sometime served with mashed potatoes and white gravy.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Hi Disaster Cat. My mom used to make swedish meatballs all the time. Memories of Mom here. Thanks for the reminder of days gone by. AL