Thread: Homemade Baby Food

Default Homemade Baby Food

Does anyone have any good ideas for making and storing baby food at home?

Henbit

Whatever happened to babies eating the same thing we eat?

Well, I kinda make baby food, but it's not for a baby it's for my bearded dragon. All i do is just pulverize it in the blender and then feed him, what's left over I put in the fridge and it'll keep for me for about 5 days;he's a very picky eater and doesn't eat very often so I really don't make a lot to last a long time, so really don't know how I would preserve a big batch.
    "Let not your heart be disturbed. Do not fear that sickness, nor any other sickness or anguish. Am I not here, who is your Mother? Are you not under my protection? Am I not your health? Are you not happily within my fold? What else do you wish? Do not grieve nor be disturbed by anything."

~ Our Lady to Juan Diego, December 9, 1531

I always took whatever we were eating and mushed or put it through the blender. If I thought it might be too spicy, I usually had some leftovers in the frig I could mush. I always had a jar of fruit in the frig I could mush as well. To be honest, my youngest son would only eat spiced (not hot spicy) food like Italian or mild Mex.

yep as others have said. whatever we ate,we just put in a blender for the babies..

avoiding the really spicy foods of course.
    although we once knew a cajun couple whos children would eat bell peppers like apples by the time they were toddlers. im pretty sure that meant they didnt avoid the spices in their babies food..

I made baby food for my boys also. I would get fresh fruits and veggies when in season, but frozen if they weren't. I cooked the vegetables and meats without salt. If I was making a big pot of soup, I'd reserve some for his baby food before I put in the spices. I ran everything through the food processor until I got the thicknes I wanted. I added fruit juice, vegetable water or broth to thin it if it was too thick and then I put it into ice cube trays, covered with plastic wrap and freeze. Then I put the cubes into a freezer bag. I had the small divided bowls for kids with a lid. each morning I would line up 3 of them and dole out the proper cubes. Then put them in the refrigerator. They would thaw by time to eat. (one bowl for lunch, one for dinner and one for the next day's breakfast)
    We like cornbread and I serve it often especially with things like beans and ham, homemade soup and chicken and dumplings. I would go ahead and add that to the food processor right along with the soup or whatever once they were old enough.
    My oldest is almost 16 and could eat his weight in chicken and dumplings and cornbread. Baby boy is almost 4 now. This morning his breakfast of choice was plain oatmeal and 1/2 of a "big red sour orange",better known as a grapefruit. LOL
    I think making your own baby food will allow them to have a taste for something besides chicken nuggets and fries. Then again, what do I know, we stop at McDonald's once or twice a year.
    catskinner

I made all of my own baby food, and my babies were so much healthier. it is best to make your own, for sure. just cook and grind or mash it up. fruits I did grind. so much better for them for sure.
    I also fed them cream of rice cereal, and then cream of wheat. they did so good on it. and some times i would add applesauce or a banana. M ykids got very little out of the store. If any thing.
    momof23goats

I used a potato ricer to make baby food for my children. Some of the meats didn't do well going through there, but most everything else did. Back then I didn't own a blender.

I used one of those hand operated food mills--cheap and worked well
    they ate what we ate