Thread: Meatless Magic

Default Meatless Magic

I got this from the Extension Office back in 1982. They had a class on economical meals for the "Recession". It's actually pretty good and seems to use some prep foods..

1 package yeast in 1/4 c warm water
    1 7oz can evaporated milk
    3 1/2 c rolled oats
    1 chopped onion
    1 tsp salt
    2 eggs
    1 can cream of mushroom soup

Combine yeast and milk. Add rest of ingredients, except soup. Let mixture stand for a few minutes, thaqn form into patties and brown in hot oil. Put in casserole. Spoon on soup. Bake at 375 degrees for twenty minutes...

Quaker Oats had a little 20 page cookbook you could get for free from them (20 yrs agao?) that had a bunch of really good recipes for rolled oats. I'll see if I can find it and share. The very #1 favorite for my family is

Golden Oats

2 c Rolled Oats
    1 egg plus 1 tbsp water beaten

Combine the above very well and turn into a pan preheated with oil and brown quickly.
    This keeps the oats from mushing out.

After the browning add diced vegies (whatever you have or like) we like onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms best. Season to taste (I season to suit what the main dish is) add 1/2 cup of broth or bullion and put the lid on and simmer/steam on low for about 5 min - stir before serving

The closest I can compare it is - it's like dressing. Great side dish with any kind of bird and not bad with some beef dishes. Great with gravy on it!

QUAKER OATS HAS THE best COOKIE RECIPE ON THE INSIDE COVER OF THE BOX. OUT OF THIS WORLD I MAKE THEM ABOUT EVERY OTHER WEEK FOR MY HUBBY. AND NOW THE OIL MAN, THE PLOW MAN AND OUR TRASH PICK UP CREW AND THANK GOD, FOR OUR OXYGEN DELIVERY MEN TOO (THOSE SNEAKY LITTLE ANGELS). LOVE THEM ONE AND ALL. AL