Thread: Generators and Main Breaker Box

Default Generators and Main Breaker Box

Looking for anyone with experience, or is an electrician.

Im looking at getting an 8250 watt portable gasoline or propane generator (dont have a garage... its a townhouse with small porch)

From what Ive read, I need to have a transfer box installed to allow the generator to hook up and run the normal electrical units. I dont have gas in the house, evertyhing is run on electricity.

1. How much does a transfer box and installation usually cost
    2. Is there another way to run the house on a generator without this being installed?

TIA

Wow! I've never been asked to cook one of those up. Let me check the index of my cook book. Hubby says maybe you would get a better answer in the Workshop than the Kitchen. But I am still checking the index theory for you. sorry but you tickled my funny bone. Wish you luck in getting that answer.

LOL...You might want to get a mod to move this post out of the cookbook and into the workshop......I mean we cook up a lot of ideas here, but I don't think this is something we can do in an oven...

((((argonath)))) hugs to ya lol....

She

You are playing with death. Not fire, well fire is a possiblility also.

This isn't something like hook a wire here and there and move this wire over here and your all done.

The problem is when things like Juction boxes are hooked up not everyone follows one standard way of doing things.... Sometimes wire of the same color is used where two colors should be present. You get blind wires that go into a hole and come back somewhere else and make no sense. Even the electric company can make things confusing for you when you open a box.

I have been a electrician before and have hooked these transfer switchs and other things up so house can be on generator.

Less just say if you are not an experianced electrician with very good knowledge about doing this type of work ( not all do this is not normal stuff your talking about doing) you can get killed or burn your house down or numerous other things that end badly.

So be careful what you are doing. Save up some money and ask around and go look at what other people have done and make a informed decision as to what type of transfer system you want and can afford.

Good Luck, and stay safe.
    "If you are mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside. If you're the only one with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet."

Can be done w/out a transfer box. Transfer relay and or mechanical transfers run 500 to 1000$, Plus connections & labor.

This a concern if you do not undersatand how the system is wired and how it works. You can connect the generator 120/240 output into a 120/240 inlet and wire this inlet into the main panel thru a circuit breaker on the mail panel. You MUST turn off the MAIN 240VAC supply BEFORE you power the inlet from the generator. Other wise if the main circuit breaker is on and the electric company restores power you WILL burn up the generator AND you could kill a repairman working on the wires outside.

Here is a place to start.

http://www.green-trust.org/generator/genny_install.htm

I highly recommend a professional to do this work. And it would not be too much money.
    IF NON-MEMBERS OF THE NRA WOULD STOP SHOOTING PEOPLE
    GUN VIOLENCE WOULD DROP 100%

“Congress’ inability or unwillingness to pass a law desired by the executive branch does not default authority to the executive branch.”

"If every Jewish and anti-Nazi family in Germany had owned a Mauser rifle and twenty rounds of ammunition AND THE WILL TO USE IT Adolf Hitler would be a little-known footnote to the history of the Weimar Republic." - Aaron Zelman, JPFO
    http://www.jpfo.org/