Thread: Ciabatta Recipe

Vipper is offline Tree of Liberty Benefactor

Default Ciabatta Recipe

Ciabatta Recipe

1 cup water at room temperature
    ¼ tsp instant dry yeast

1 ¾ cups durum flour

Mix the water and yeast. Let sit for a few minutes before stirring in the flour with a wooden spoon. Let this mixture sit out untouched for at least 4 hours, but no more than 12 hours.

¾ cup water at room temperature
    ½ tsp instant dry yeast

¾ cup milk at room temperature

Put the yeast and water into a mixer. Wait a few minutes and add milk and dough from above. Mix the mixture for 4 or 5 minutes.

2 ¾ cups durum flour

Next add in 2 cups of flour and continue mixing in the balance of the flour a ¼ cup at a time, until it is all mixed in. When it is not sticking to the sides, but does stick to the bottom it is done. Let rest for 15 minutes.

2 ½ tsp sea salt

Add in the salt now and mix for 1 minute more.

olive oil

Turn out the dough into a non-metallic container or bowl that you have coated with olive oil. Flip the dough over to make sure it is entirely coated with olive oil. I used a dough proofing container, if you use a bowl cover it with plastic wrap. Let rest 1 hour. Then press down your dough with your hands to degas it. After this cover it again and let it sit for another hour.

Take the dough out of the container or bowl and put on a floured surface. I use a wooden block. Using your fingers press into a large rectangle shape and fold over into 3 equal folds pinching the sides to seal them. Place a flour dusted towel over it. Let it rest for 1 1/2 hours longer.

Corn Meal for dusting

Pre-heat a stone in the oven at 525 degrees. Sprinkle a pizza peel with cornmeal and flip the dough on to it. Slide it onto the stone carefully. Turn the temperature down to 475 after 5 minutes. In about 25 minutes it should be done. It will be slightly brown on top and when given a tap with your finger, the bread will sound hollow. Remove from oven and let cool on a rack.

NOTE: You can make 12 rolls or two small loaves for the recipe above if desired....
    We cannot solve problems with the same thinking we used when we created them. -- Albert Einstein

Need a Scala Bread recipe. Please. Thanks in advance, AL

Vipper is offline Tree of Liberty Benefactor

That's the braided bread with a salt or sesame coating right??? I have not made that in years... I have a recipe for it I'll have to dig out for you... I always called it Scali Bread though....

Kath
    We cannot solve problems with the same thinking we used when we created them. -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Vipper View Post
    That's the braided bread with a salt or sesame coating right??? I have not made that in years... I have a recipe for it I'll have to dig out for you... I always called it Scali Bread though....

Kath
    Oh, Yes. I would love it. I buy it but it is about $3.50 plus per loaf now. I usually make all of our bread but I have a broken shoulder right now and won't be healed until spring. Will get hubby to help with the kneading. He loves homemade bread!!! Thanks Kath in Advance. AL