Thread: Best Pickles I ever ate!!!!!

Default Best Pickles I ever ate!!!!!

First, before I post the recipe, I have to share my funny story... One night I went to bed early around 9:30. Ahhhhh. It was bliss. I was SO tired. At about 11:00 the DH came in and flipped on the light by my bedside and sat down next to me. Here is what he said... "I have to confess. This is really weighing on me." Big pause. My mind is racing, what is going on????? "I just can't stop myself. I try and try and I think - no, I'll just quit. But, I'm completely addicted." Big pause. I'm mute, just waiting for the shoe to drop. (You DON'T want to know what is going through my mind.) "I keep saying that I won't have another but I have no willpower." Finally, I can't restrain myself any more and I ask what is going on. My eyes are as big as saucers!! No kidding. He says, "It is those crazy pickles! I think I ate a whole quart and a half!" AHHHHHHHH. I could have killed him on the spot - waking me up and scaring the you know what out of me! I couldn't sleep for about an hour. He seemed to think he was pretty funny!

ALIXI'S PICKLES

Brine:
    2 Qts Water
    1 Qt Apple Cider Vinegar (unfiltered)
    1/2 cup sea salt
    1/2 cup raw organic sugar (unrefined like florida crystals)
    Pack 1 quart jars in this order:
    2 dill flowers
    2 garlic cloves
    2 small red chili peppers
    small 3" or less gherkins/pickling cucumbers - should be picked THAT DAY!!!

Two ways to process.

1) If you have extra room in your extra refridgerator, just put them straight in the fridge once they cool. In this case you can reuse used lids and they may or may not seal. The hot brine will cause about 1/2 of them to seal. (less spicy)
    2) Do a hot water bath for 10 minutes. Don't over do the time on this or they will not stay as crisp. These will seal and don't need to be refridgerated until opened. (will be spicier)
    Tips
    If you get the 3" or less gherkins, then they will fit vertically in the jars in two rows. Pack one inch from the top of the jar. Pour boiling brine into the jars to one inch from top, covering the cukes, and immediately put on sterilized lids. Tighten rings.

***If you use bigger pickles in a bigger jar, they will not stay as crisp if you have to do the hot water bath, but they are still fantastic. I gave away a gallon jar with the big huge ones in it (5-6 inches) and my friend thought I gave him a slice of heaven!

ENJOY in 2 weeks at the earliest. They just keep getting better for at least 4 months. Then they start to slowly soften after about 6-8 months. Eat within a year for best crispiness factor. Oh - and don't throw out the brine. Just drop some baby carrots in it or anything else you like pickled when the cucumbers are gone and eat those in a couple weeks.

Smile Sounds wonderful

I LOVE dill pickles

the best pickles I ever ate were from a little old lady across the street from us at our last house. they were called "refrigerated pickles". I dont have the recipe and I have not ever had them other than that one time she brought them over
    straightstreet<><
    Acts 9:10-12

In Damascus there was a disciple named Ananias. The Lord called to him in a vision, "Ananias!" "Yes, Lord," he answered. The Lord told him, "Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight."

Quote Originally Posted by straightstreet View Post
    the best pickles I ever ate were from a little old lady across the street from us at our last house. they were called "refrigerated pickles". I dont have the recipe and I have not ever had them other than that one time she brought them over
    straightstreet<><

I tried these, they're pretty good:

http://www.thetreeofliberty.com/vb/s...24&postcount=8

I use a bit less sugar, and apple cider vinegar though.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell

Police dog 1, bad guy nothin':