Thread: Book suggestions sticky

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"Heaven" by Randy Alcorn

This book is the best ever, I got it shortly after becoming a widow (DH #2). This is a GREAT book for anyone greiving, or anyone wanting to know what Heaven really will be like.

I would describe it as a tour-guide for our next destination. Based on the Bible and referenced to scripture throughout.
    They will fight against you but will not overcome you,
    for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the Lord. Jer 1:19

Assume nothing, question everything.
    -James Patterson

There's no excuse not to have a good attitude.
    Unless you're out of booze and pills, of course.
    -George Ure

Default check this out

New here and surprised I haven't seen a link to this website;

http://oll.libertyfund.org/

Years worth of learning of important topics here. Too many to mention.

I'd like to recommend a couple of series' books I've read in recent years that I really enjoyed. Both were written for "young adult" readers, so you'll find them in the teen section at the library. I

The first one is a story of war and survival. The first book is Tomorrow When The War Began by John Marsden
    It takes place Christmastime (summer!) in Australia. A group of young people is on a camping trip, while most of adults (ranchers) are at the big District Fair. One morning, a large air strike and occupying army from an unspecified Asian country invades their district. Most of the men were at the fair, so they were easily captured and confined to the compound. Once the teens realize what's happened, there's lots of adventures as they try to resist the occupation and keep from getting captured. There are six or seven books in the series and my husband and I both enjoyed all of them.

The second one is a Cosmic catastrophe. The first book is called Life As We Knew It by Susan Pfeffer- a large asteroid or comet collides with the Moon and knocks it out of orbit and closer to Earth, touching off earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, and Nuclear Winter! This book is about suburban Americans trying to stay alive. It's a good prep story about what can happen- and what can go wrong (people not working together) I was somewhat upset with one character in the book- a corrupt minister that was surviving at the expense of others. As a stand alone book, it seemed an Anti-Christian message. Then I read the second book, The Dead And The Gone, which is a story of the same catastrophe, as experienced by a Puerto Rican family living in NYC. In this book, religious leaders are sympathetic and laboring hard to care of survivors. I'd welcome a third book, because she gave me lots to think about re: preparation!
    "This is my Father's world.
    O let me ne'er forget
    that though the wrong seems oft so strong,
    God is the ruler yet."

I just finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. It is graphic and a extremely depressing story of a father and son after a total collapse of society. I will caution those that there are some disturbing situations within the book. It is not a happy read but anyone who thinks they've got everything covered as far as the survival subject goes needs to read it.

I read Deep Winter and Shatter while they were online a couple of years ago. Finally got dh to get me Deep Winter for Christmas and recently got him to let me get Shatter. It came in the mail a couple of days ago. They are great books! I'm really looking forward to the third book to see what happens to Rick Drummond.

gardengal

Default Places to buy the books

I just finished "The Patriot - surviving the coming collapse" and "This book could save your life" and "The poor Mans james Bond" and "Che Guevara" and "FM 5-25 Explosives and Demolition"

All must reads!

I actually got most of them either off of Amazon.com or Ebay and I just ran over to the local military surplus and the local Good will and bought about 30 books for under 40 dollars.

I haven't ever really shopped at a thrift store but they sell books there for like a quarter. I also found some books written years ago about home maintanance and living off the land
    Oh , that is another really good book- Living on an acre

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

The used books on Amazon are really cheap, and every one I've ever bought off there surprised me at how really good shape it was in!

Another good one is "Beginning of Sorrows"...follows several characters in different story lines that intertwine, about the Beast coming to power. The first book in the Omega Trilogy, this one starts when Project Final Unity, an electrical blackout covertly contrived by political leaders gets out of control, shutting down the entire U.S. and bringing about chaos, anarchy, and famine.

I just looked on Amazon, and the 2nd in the series (Fallen Stars, Bitter Waters) came out in 2000, but they are not going to release #3, because they apparently didn't have enough sales of the first one.
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Quote Originally Posted by Sugaree View Post
    "Heaven" by Randy Alcorn

This book is the best ever, I got it shortly after becoming a widow (DH #2). This is a GREAT book for anyone greiving, or anyone wanting to know what Heaven really will be like.

I would describe it as a tour-guide for our next destination. Based on the Bible and referenced to scripture throughout.
    I second this recommendation. I just got a copy of this book, read it, loaned it to a friend, and can hardly wait to get it back so I can read it again! It greatly changed my concepts of what Heaven will be like -- I am so anxious to get there!

Kathleen
    Psalm 27:4 One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.

Clifford Finch Guest

Here's a few good reads:
    The Creature from Jekyll Island-G.Edward Griffin (a must read in my opinion)
    The Jefferson Lies-David Barton
    Wall Street and The Bolshevik Revolution, Wall Street and FDR, Wall Street and the Rise of Hitler-Antony Sutton
    Tragedy and Hope-Carrol Quigley
    The Federalist Papers-Hamilton,Madison,Jay-intro by Kesler
    The Anti-Federalist Papers and the Constitutional Convention Debates-intro by Ketcham
    If you dont mind examining some of the darker possibilities you might pick up a copy of Behold a Pale Horse by Milton William Cooper be forewarned its very dark , Cooper was a conspiracy theorist and some of his theories seem pretty far-out but his book was published in 1991 and much of what he predicted based on his theories 21 years ago turned out to be (regrettably) spot on for where we find ourselves now.
    Good luck on your journey!