Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Book suggestions sticky

Quote Originally Posted by tsherry View Post
    I'll suggest my own two stories, 'Deep Winter' and 'Shatter'. Haven't heard of them? Shoot me an email or PM. I'll shoot back a PDF.

Be warned though, you need to step away from the stories. They'll suck you in sure as shootin'.

They absolutely will - and both are GREAT reads! When's #3 coming?

Might I also suggest a general idea as to what each book is about? Titles are nice, but then most users (like I just did) have to then go to amazon or Barnes & Noble to find out what the book is about.
    Though He slay me, I will hope in Him. Job 13:15a

The Hidden Dangers of The Rainbow
    by Constance Cumbey (she also has a blog at cumbey.blogspot.com)

Quote Originally Posted by h_oder View Post
    They absolutely will - and both are GREAT reads! When's #3 coming?
    Oddly enough, I finished the rough-out of the last five chapters last night....

YES!
    You had better have my name on one of the first ones printed...
    I'll send money now to reserve a copy.

Hawkhavn
    Hawkhavn
    RWVA/Appleseed Instructor and Great Lakes Regional Coordinator
    'Common Americans teaching other common Americans to shoot, uncommonly well'
    www.appleseedinfo.org

Quote Originally Posted by tsherry View Post
    Oddly enough, I finished the rough-out of the last five chapters last night....

woo hoo! I've asked DH to buy me the first two for my bday, but maybe I'll tell him to hold off until I can get a triple play? I read the the first two online before you published, but want copies of my own!

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

I second the vote for "Alas, Babylon" -- written in the 50's, at the height of the Cold War/nuclear threat scare, it follows a man in central Florida who is warned of a coming nuclear attack on the U.S. by his brother who works at one of the underground SAC facilities up north. Shows how he prepares, how he copes with the consequences of the attack. He becomes a leader of sorts that helps to organize his community.

Also, "Wolf and Iron" -- a really thick novel about a man named Jeebee who sees a collapse coming but is so involved in tracking the sociological model on his computer that he doesn't realize he's in the middle of it. He has to flee the town he's in, after the collapse, because he's not a "local". He travels west, trying to get to his brother's farm (in Wyoming or Montana), using a prototype solar powered moped sort of thing. It has a solar-cell blanket that he can lay out on the ground to power up. Along the way, he has a run-in with people who try to waylay him to get his stuff, and a wolf they have follows him when he escapes. They travel on together until they meet up with a traveling merchant who runs a route every year with a wagon pulled by a team, trading with outlying farms and communities that have grown to know him.

Being Pushed off of a cliff by the lemmings

Life As We Knew It - Susan Beth Pfeffer

A meteor hits the moon and knocks it closer to earth. Tsunamis, earthquakes and volcanoes begin. One family tries to survive in the new reality. Youth fiction, excellent quick read.

Veronica

"Heaven" by Randy Alcorn

This book is the best ever, I got it shortly after becoming a widow (DH #2). This is a GREAT book for anyone greiving, or anyone wanting to know what Heaven really will be like.

I would describe it as a tour-guide for our next destination. Based on the Bible and referenced to scripture throughout.
    They will fight against you but will not overcome you,
    for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the Lord. Jer 1:19

Assume nothing, question everything.
    -James Patterson

There's no excuse not to have a good attitude.
    Unless you're out of booze and pills, of course.
    -George Ure