Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Book suggestions sticky

Default check this out

New here and surprised I haven't seen a link to this website;

http://oll.libertyfund.org/

Years worth of learning of important topics here. Too many to mention.

I'd like to recommend a couple of series' books I've read in recent years that I really enjoyed. Both were written for "young adult" readers, so you'll find them in the teen section at the library. I

The first one is a story of war and survival. The first book is Tomorrow When The War Began by John Marsden
    It takes place Christmastime (summer!) in Australia. A group of young people is on a camping trip, while most of adults (ranchers) are at the big District Fair. One morning, a large air strike and occupying army from an unspecified Asian country invades their district. Most of the men were at the fair, so they were easily captured and confined to the compound. Once the teens realize what's happened, there's lots of adventures as they try to resist the occupation and keep from getting captured. There are six or seven books in the series and my husband and I both enjoyed all of them.

The second one is a Cosmic catastrophe. The first book is called Life As We Knew It by Susan Pfeffer- a large asteroid or comet collides with the Moon and knocks it out of orbit and closer to Earth, touching off earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, and Nuclear Winter! This book is about suburban Americans trying to stay alive. It's a good prep story about what can happen- and what can go wrong (people not working together) I was somewhat upset with one character in the book- a corrupt minister that was surviving at the expense of others. As a stand alone book, it seemed an Anti-Christian message. Then I read the second book, The Dead And The Gone, which is a story of the same catastrophe, as experienced by a Puerto Rican family living in NYC. In this book, religious leaders are sympathetic and laboring hard to care of survivors. I'd welcome a third book, because she gave me lots to think about re: preparation!
    "This is my Father's world.
    O let me ne'er forget
    that though the wrong seems oft so strong,
    God is the ruler yet."

I just finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. It is graphic and a extremely depressing story of a father and son after a total collapse of society. I will caution those that there are some disturbing situations within the book. It is not a happy read but anyone who thinks they've got everything covered as far as the survival subject goes needs to read it.

Well I finished "The Road" in one day. What an eye opener and a sad book.

But what is really the eye opener is," The creature of Jekyll Island" I have only read 2 chapters and my jaw is already on the floor in light of todays economic news. The author wrote the book in 1996. It reads like the banking system of the last few years. Incredible.

By the way it is a VERY big book, but the guy wrote it in such a way that you can skim and get the gist, and the info is not too much.

Def recommend them both.

BG

Default abebooks.com

has many of the books listed here.
    Some of them are available with free shipping.
    I just ordered 8 books including 2 of Ayn Rand's books, as well as a book on home canning, a book on pressure cooking, and a book for saving seeds.
    I spent less than $50.00!
    I can do all things through HIM who gives me strength. Phil 4:13
    Cat

"Eyes blinded by the fog of Things cannot see Truth.
    Ears deafened by the din of Things cannot hear Truth.
    Brains bewildered by the whirl of Things cannot think truth.
    Hearts deadened by the weight of Things cannot feel Truth.
    Throats choked by the dust of Things cannot speak truth.
    "The Uncrowned King" by Harold Bell Wright

I read Deep Winter and Shatter while they were online a couple of years ago. Finally got dh to get me Deep Winter for Christmas and recently got him to let me get Shatter. It came in the mail a couple of days ago. They are great books! I'm really looking forward to the third book to see what happens to Rick Drummond.

gardengal

Default The 'Curriculum'

Here are the books and commentaries that I've read since November 2004. They were my 'red pill'.

The Creature From Jekyll Island - G. Edward Griffith
    The Tragedy of Great Power Politics - John J. Mearsheimer (AWESOME insights into world politics past and present)
    Beyond Oil - Ken Deffeyes
    Twilight In The Desert - Matt Simmons
    The Ethics Of Liberty - Murray N. Rothbard (HUGE influence)
    America's Great Depression - Murray N. Rothbard (HUGE influence)
    The Forgotten Man - Amity Shlaes
    The Long Emergency - James Howard Kunstler
    Fiat Money Inflation In France - Andrew Dickson White. (This one knocked me OUT. I am watching the events replay 210 years later!)
    Popular Economics Essays by Professor Antal E. Fekete http://professorfekete.com/articles.asp. Read'em all, study them.
    The Crash Course by Chris Martenson, Phd. http://www.chrismartenson.com/crashcourse
    The Coming Collapse of the Dollar and how to profit from it - James Turk and John Rubino
    The Fourth Turning - William Strauss. (This was yet another life-changing book)
    Financial Reckoning Day - Addison Wiggin and Bill Bonner
    Empire Of Debt - William Bonner and Addison Wiggin

There are more, but these are the ones that come to mind right away.
    "Brother, you asked for it!"

Thanks everyone. These are great sugggestions.

I am about done with Atlas Shrugged. This is the best book I have read in along time. Fiction that actually makes you think. At least it has for me.

BG

It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Am reading Black Monday by Bob Reiss. Pretty good TEOTWAWKI material.

Premise: what happens when the world's oil supply is rendered unusable. All the machines in the world stop working when a microbe infests the world's oil supply, from oil field to refinery to gas tank.

Just a third of the way through, but interesting reading.
    "There are those who hate Christianity and call their hatred an all-embracing love for all religions."
    -G.K. Chesterton

"We are a nation that has a government, not the other way around" Ronald Reagan, Inaugural Address, 1981