Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Book suggestions sticky

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Footfall another great catastrophe book from the team of Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. It is about alien invasion but has some great tips within the story line.

I also second "Patriots" by Rawles. it is a great story with a lot of good tips too. Sort of an entertaining how-to-guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnhse View Post
    Life As We Knew It - Susan Beth Pfeffer

A meteor hits the moon and knocks it closer to earth. Tsunamis, earthquakes and volcanoes begin. One family tries to survive in the new reality. Youth fiction, excellent quick read.

Veronica

There is a second novel now called The Dead and the Gone . And there's a third book coming out next year.

May I also recommend The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder. One hot August day, when the last thing on the minds of most, the native Dakota people came to town to warn the settlers that seven months of blizzards were coming (1880-1881) and they weren't kidding! Very good story for all ages.
    Last edited by Tesla'sMom; 07-30-2009 at 07:50 AM.
    "This is my Father's world.
    O let me ne'er forget
    that though the wrong seems oft so strong,
    God is the ruler yet."

Solar Flare by Larry Burkett

It's a great book with lots of science that tells what it might be like to experience EMPs due to solar flares. The science is presented in a way that those of us with no interest in that field can still understand. That plus the intermingling of conservative Christian principles made me love it. It makes you think. This book won't take off to a fantasy world. It starts out slow, but soon grabbed me where I couldn't put it down. But then, I am fascinated with bygone eras where there are no modern conveniences, so of course, it gets a big thumbs up from me.

1984 -George Orwell

I am probably the only person here who has not already read it!

I just finished "Atlas Shrugged" and "1984" is the perfect follow-up companion read.
    They will fight against you but will not overcome you,
    for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the Lord. Jer 1:19

Assume nothing, question everything.
    -James Patterson

There's no excuse not to have a good attitude.
    Unless you're out of booze and pills, of course.
    -George Ure

...for what it's worth, my reccomended reading list in no particular order.

"The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry" - Massad Ayoub
    "More Liberty, Less Government" - Dr. Walter E. Williams
    "Economics 101" - Dr. Murray Rothbard
    "Politically Incorrect Guide to the Founding Fathers' - Brion McClanahan
    "Politically Incorrect Guide to the Constitution" - Dr. Kevin Gutzman
    "Politically Incorrect Guide to American History" - Dr. Thomas Woods
    "Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism" - Dr. Bob Murphy
    "Politically Incorrect Guide to the South" - Clint Johnston
    "From Union to Empire" - Dr. Clyde Wilson
    "Emancipating Slave, Enslaving Free Men" - Dr. Jeffery Rogers Hummel
    "In the Course of Human Events" - Charles Adams
    "The Real Lincoln" - Dr. Thomas DiLorenzo
    "Constitutional History of Secession" - John Remington Graham
    "Lysander Spooner Reader" - Lysander Spooner
    "The Revolution: A Manifesto" - Dr. Ron Paul
    "Speaking of Liberty" - Dr. Lew Rockwell
    "Rise & Fall of the Confederate Government" - President Jefferson Davis

I'll second 'The Long Winter' by Laura Ingalls Wilder. In fact, the whole series of Little House books are great reads. Not just for kids, although they are written for a kid to understand. They have lots of good info on frontier living to be gleaned from them.

gardengal

Default Places to buy the books

I just finished "The Patriot - surviving the coming collapse" and "This book could save your life" and "The poor Mans james Bond" and "Che Guevara" and "FM 5-25 Explosives and Demolition"

All must reads!

I actually got most of them either off of Amazon.com or Ebay and I just ran over to the local military surplus and the local Good will and bought about 30 books for under 40 dollars.

I haven't ever really shopped at a thrift store but they sell books there for like a quarter. I also found some books written years ago about home maintanance and living off the land
    Oh , that is another really good book- Living on an acre

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

The used books on Amazon are really cheap, and every one I've ever bought off there surprised me at how really good shape it was in!

Another good one is "Beginning of Sorrows"...follows several characters in different story lines that intertwine, about the Beast coming to power. The first book in the Omega Trilogy, this one starts when Project Final Unity, an electrical blackout covertly contrived by political leaders gets out of control, shutting down the entire U.S. and bringing about chaos, anarchy, and famine.

I just looked on Amazon, and the 2nd in the series (Fallen Stars, Bitter Waters) came out in 2000, but they are not going to release #3, because they apparently didn't have enough sales of the first one.
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Smile John Galt is a character in Atlas Shrugged by Ayn rand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassgirl View Post
    I was wondering if anyone can create a book suggestion sticky and the members add to it. I see several books recommended in various threads but then it gets lost in the shuffle.I know I want to read "patriots" I think it is and "The creature" There were several others that were mentioned in threads last night. Something called John Galt or a book with that charater in it.What other books along these lines would you all recommend?ThanksBG

ooh