Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Book suggestions sticky

As election season approaches(yuk) if you're looking for a good read about what you can do that the politicians won't, try http://www.paladin-press.com/product...zenship/?a=csw The Bad Attitude Guide to Good Citizenship
    by Claire Wolfe

Every few years, American voters get fed up and "throw the bums out." One party sweeps to victory on promises of "change" or "getting government off our backs." Such monumental electoral changes swept the country in 2008. And 1994. And 1980. And 1968. But amid all this change, the one thing that never actually does change is the one thing we imagine we're changing—government. We throw the bums out—and throw another bunch of bums in. We vote for smaller government—and government gets even bigger. We vote for less spending, and spending soars. In other words: no matter who we vote for, the government gets elected.

"It's hopeless," we tell ourselves. "There's not a damn thing we can do to change anything." But that sort of cynicism simply just plays into the system. There are alternatives to the failed methods of good citizenship, and that's what this book is about. Let freedom activist Claire Wolfe show you how to use a bad attitude to effect real change:
    • Bypassing politics entirely to get things done and preserve your freedoms
      Keeping politicians and bureaucrats in their place—and out of yours
      Halting the increased militarization of police
      Choosing between creative disregard and civil disobedience
    • Assessing the necessity of elections in society
    The goal of Claire's unconventional brand of political action is to generate a momentum of individual independence around the country, at the same time as government-as-usual engineers its own doom by being oppressive and unresponsive. There may not be a sea change at first, but as more and more citizens become fed up with the status quo and find cause within the freedom movement, change could come bullet-train fast.

"Claire Wolfe is one of the great revolutionaries of our time. . . . The Bad Attitude Guide makes a great stocking stuffer—it is a unique book and a unique perspective."
    ––Brian Wilson, Radio Show Host

"Fallen Angels" by Jerry Pournelle, Larry Niven, and Michael Flynn is a free on-line sci fi book. The "angels" of the title are astronauts who crash land in an America in the midst of an ice age, and taken over by radical greens. They are soon being hunted by the government. Written in 1991, they did a better job of predicting the future, in some ways, than I think they would have wanted to.

http://www.webscription.net/p-137-fallen-angels.aspx
    Last edited by Wakingup; 10-03-2011 at 07:47 PM. Reason: to add link

Quote Originally Posted by Sugaree View Post
    "Heaven" by Randy Alcorn

This book is the best ever, I got it shortly after becoming a widow (DH #2). This is a GREAT book for anyone greiving, or anyone wanting to know what Heaven really will be like.

I would describe it as a tour-guide for our next destination. Based on the Bible and referenced to scripture throughout.
    I second this recommendation. I just got a copy of this book, read it, loaned it to a friend, and can hardly wait to get it back so I can read it again! It greatly changed my concepts of what Heaven will be like -- I am so anxious to get there!

Kathleen
    Psalm 27:4 One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.

Clifford Finch Guest

Here's a few good reads:
    The Creature from Jekyll Island-G.Edward Griffin (a must read in my opinion)
    The Jefferson Lies-David Barton
    Wall Street and The Bolshevik Revolution, Wall Street and FDR, Wall Street and the Rise of Hitler-Antony Sutton
    Tragedy and Hope-Carrol Quigley
    The Federalist Papers-Hamilton,Madison,Jay-intro by Kesler
    The Anti-Federalist Papers and the Constitutional Convention Debates-intro by Ketcham
    If you dont mind examining some of the darker possibilities you might pick up a copy of Behold a Pale Horse by Milton William Cooper be forewarned its very dark , Cooper was a conspiracy theorist and some of his theories seem pretty far-out but his book was published in 1991 and much of what he predicted based on his theories 21 years ago turned out to be (regrettably) spot on for where we find ourselves now.
    Good luck on your journey!

Quote Originally Posted by Wakingup View Post
    "Fallen Angels" by Jerry Pournelle, Larry Niven, and Michael Flynn is a free on-line sci fi book. The "angels" of the title are astronauts who crash land in an America in the midst of an ice age, and taken over by radical greens. They are soon being hunted by the government. Written in 1991, they did a better job of predicting the future, in some ways, than I think they would have wanted to.

http://www.webscription.net/p-137-fallen-angels.aspx
    What I like about this one is that the ice age came about because the scientists were trying to fix/prevent global warming.
    Otherwise, I think it's not that great a story.
    Make America WELL Again !
    Even as men wrecked upon a sand, that look to be
    washed off the next tide.

Default Oryx and Crake

By Margaret Atwood, Oryx and Crake covers a lot of subjects discussed on this forum.

Atwood has visited the future before, in her dystopian novel, The Handmaid's Tale. In her latest, the future is even bleaker. The triple whammy of runaway social inequality, genetic technology and catastrophic climate change, has finally culminated in some apocalyptic event. As Jimmy, apparently the last human being on earth, makes his way back to the RejoovenEsencecompound for supplies, the reader is transported backwards toward that cataclysmic event, its full dimensions gradually revealed. Jimmy grew up in a world split between corporate compounds (gated communities metastasized into city-states) and pleeblands (unsafe, populous and polluted urban centers). His best friend was "Crake," the name originally his handle in an interactive Net game, Extinctathon. Even Jimmy's mother-who ran off and joined an ecology guerrilla group when Jimmy was an adolescent-respected Crake, already a budding genius. The two friends first encountered Oryx on the Net; she was the eight-year-old star of a pedophilic film on a site called HottTotts. Oryx's story is a counterpoint to Jimmy and Crake's affluent adolescence. She was sold by her Southeast Asian parents, taken to the city and eventually made into a sex "pixie" in some distant country. Jimmy meets Oryx much later-after college, after Crake gets Jimmy a job with ReJoovenEsence. Crake is designing the Crakers-a new, multicolored placid race of human beings, smelling vaguely of citron. He's procured Oryx to be his personal assistant. She teaches the Crakers how to cope in the world and goes out on secret missions. The mystery on which this riveting, disturbing tale hinges is how Crake and Oryx and civilization vanished, and how Jimmy-who also calls himself "the Snowman," after that other rare, hunted specimen, the Abominable Snowman-survived. Chesterton once wrote of the "thousand romances that lie secreted in The Origin of Species." Atwood has extracted one of the most hair-raising of them, and one of the most brilliant.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/038...pf_rd_i=507846

Exclamation

Amazing books... Enemies foreign and domestic by matt bracken. Talk about assault rifle ban..

Finally a good book list that is not soo one sided and biased to the left...... (there are some great books in this list).

100 Must-Read Books: The Essential Man’s Library

http://artofmanliness.com/2008/05/14...-mans-library/

old book ( from 1912 ), Handy farm devices, and how to make them.

http://archive.org/stream/cu31924080...ge/n5/mode/2up

I would recommend The lord of the flies.

Shipwrecked on an island, the castaway boys eventually revert to savagery despite the few rational kids' attempts to prevent that.