Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any Dog food Recipes?

Default any Dog food Recipes?

Perhaps this is not the place for pet food requests (and if not please move to the correct area) but does anyone have any simple dog food recipes for if we run out of pet food?

I take a pound of ground turkey and 2 cups of rice and cook it with 4 cups of water. Then I add a can of mixed vegetables, some ramen and a couple of eggs, including the shells and mix it all up. I also throw in any leftovers that do not have garlic or onions.

I have been feeding this to my dogs for a couple years now and they are healthy, energetic and the perfect weight for their breeds. I started making this for them when the melamine scare began and any time I have run out and given them dry, commercial food, they have become sluggish and mopey. However, within hours of going back on this, they resume their perky, happy states.

I have some more recipes on my blog here:

http://justdogsdogsdogs.blogspot.com.../label/Recipes

Barb

Quote Originally Posted by BTR View Post
    I take a pound of ground turkey and 2 cups of rice and cook it with 4 cups of water. Then I add a can of mixed vegetables, some ramen and a couple of eggs, including the shells and mix it all up. I also throw in any leftovers that do not have garlic or onions.

I have been feeding this to my dogs for a couple years now and they are healthy, energetic and the perfect weight for their breeds. I started making this for them when the melamine scare began and any time I have run out and given them dry, commercial food, they have become sluggish and mopey. However, within hours of going back on this, they resume their perky, happy states.

Barb

Seems interesting I suppose it works with any ground meat. why mix in the egg shells? I would be afraid she would choke on them.

My dogs love the crunch of the eggshells and they are a great source of calcium. I break the eggs up and stir it up real good in the food. Our Golden Retriever actually hangs around when my husband cracks eggs for his breakfast in the morning. She gets as excited for the shells as she would a raw steak!

We use Jesse's scotch broth recipe mixed with whatever greens we have on hand, and some of the cheapest crockpotted meats (necks, chicken gizzards,livers, hearts) we can find. We crockpot the bean/rice mix, then add fresh greens and the meat broth. Dogs and some of the cats love it. Stores real well too. Cheaper than the dog crap commercial stuff I used to buy.

I started making food for my girls (2 pugs and a bischon) and they love it. The bischon had her little nose turn pink and after making this it turned black again.

1lb. ground beef, chicken, turkey
    1/2 cup brown rice
    2 stalks of broccoli, chopped fine
    2 or 3 medium potatoes, chopped fine
    3 medium carrots, chopped fine
    4-5 cups water

Brown meat and put it all in the crockpot. Cook about 5-6 hours on low and waa la! Dog food.

This is what I give my girls for breakfast. I also let the free graze on their dry food during the day.
    Everything is always alright in the end.
    If it is not alright, then its not the end.

When my Doberman was a puppy, we fed him two hard boiled eggs with the shells crushed up every day with his puppy chow, for the extra calcium. Made him a little stinky, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Lady View Post
    I started making food for my girls (2 pugs and a bischon) and they love it. The bischon had her little nose turn pink and after making this it turned black again.

1lb. ground beef, chicken, turkey
    1/2 cup brown rice
    2 stalks of broccoli, chopped fine
    2 or 3 medium potatoes, chopped fine
    3 medium carrots, chopped fine
    4-5 cups water

Brown meat and put it all in the crockpot. Cook about 5-6 hours on low and waa la! Dog food.

This is what I give my girls for breakfast. I also let the free graze on their dry food during the day.
    sounds good, i would actually eat that myself as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BTR View Post

Barb
    Thanks! Just went and made it for 2 beagles and a lab. They loved it! I doubled the recipe, stored in a tub, and placed it in the garage fridge.
    I Will Not Go Quietly!

Quote Originally Posted by cache View Post
    When my Doberman was a puppy, we fed him two hard boiled eggs with the shells crushed up every day with his puppy chow, for the extra calcium. Made him a little stinky, though.
    He's a dobe, he would fart anyway. They all do. Mine used to stink me outa the house.