Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: any Dog food Recipes?

CurlySue,

Glad they liked it! Our dogs hover in the kitchen when they see us pull out the rice or the stainless steel pot we cook it in. They know!

All veggies work great except green beans. We tried that and we had to banish them to the backyard during waking hours. Green beans give horrible, noisy gas to our dogs!

We had an older dog who was slowing down and seemed to have abdominal pain often. Within weeks of going on this simple food, she lost about 7 pounds and started playing and running again. A year later she died of stomach cancer. We are sure that the cancer was there when we began the diet, but this food gave her an extra year with us. I only wish we would have given her this food many years earlier so her quality of life would not have had the chance to decline. We have a precious golden retriever with hip dysplasia and no symptoms. Controlling her weight is the best medicine to keep this condition from affecting her and we are so happy to see that she has no pain or discomfort.

Barb

the recipes sound good, clean, simple food, but I'm wondering, how often do you have to make this for your dog(s)?

I have a German Shepherd (8 mos old) and she can eat. Right now she's partially raw fed, partially canned/kibble fed. I would love to drop the 'man-made' canned/kibble oods as they are full of junk, but I'm wondering if I can afford to keep her in home-made food too. :P

Anyone have a big dog and make their own food? How long does 1lb of turkey plus extras last?

Thanks!!!!!

P.S. thinking I really need to start raising rabbits :P

Default big dog ,,,,raw diet,,,,,

A chek german shepard has chosen to stay with
    us. We adopted him as a 12 wk old pup who was
    already on raw diet solid food on a farm.

we have always had a shepard around , but never
    on the raw diet. I was amazed at the difference in
    health and attitude. So we continued with what he
    grew up with .

He is three now and consumes a chicken qtr for
    breakfast, and half a qtr for dinner. Thats about
    1.5 lbs per day plus kibble for grazzing. 2 cups.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    the bad boys say " Submit or Die " ,

I say " Fight or Die " , your choice !

Quote Originally Posted by labellavita View Post
    the recipes sound good, clean, simple food, but I'm wondering, how often do you have to make this for your dog(s)?

I make it about once every 4 or 5 days. At its most basic, I use 1lb ground turkey, 2 cups rice (dry) and a can of mixed veggies. I will sometimes stretch it with a couple of eggs, shell and all, and a package of ramen noodles. That makes it last an extra day or so. I will also put any healthy leftovers in the food, provided there are no onions or garlic in them.

I just dump it all in a pot and cover it for 20 minutes on med. high heat.
    Barb