Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Turnip Recipes?

Shred them and toss with a vinaigrette made from three spoonfuls of oil, one of wine vinegar, a lump of sugar, a spoonful of mustard, salt and pepper, and a slpash of Aromat or soy sauce.

Raw beets are also good shredded and served this way...maybe with the addition of chopped onion and hard boiled egg.

Raw carrots, too, can be done like this...or substitute the vinegar with lemon juice and use olive oil, and perhaps add a dollop of mayonnaise.

Interesting thread. I've always eaten turnip greens boiled in water with salt sometimes with bacon or ham served with tobasco pepper sauce. I never even knew that there was any other way to eat them, lol.

The only way i can eat them is as oven fries. Toss with a little olive oil and spices you like and bake until crispy, like FF.
    “The thing about being a survivalist kook and stockpiling gold, guns, and food is that there’s no downside. Even if you’re wrong, you’ve still got gold, guns, and food.”

Quote Originally Posted by Amaryllis View Post
    Interesting thread. I've always eaten turnip greens boiled in water with salt sometimes with bacon or ham served with tobasco pepper sauce. I never even knew that there was any other way to eat them, lol.
    The reason the greens should be eaten with some form of fat (butter, bacon grease etc) is that it has been proven scientifically that the fat helps your body metabolize and take advantage of the iron and vitamins in the greens that would otherwise just flush on thru. I found this on one of those sites that tells the 'why' behind how our ancesters cooked. I have to go find that again so I can get it printed off.

I adore turnips. I love the greens, too, but the turnip? YUMMY!

Dice in half inch dice. Simmer in water enough to cover with just a little sugar added until tender enough for a knife to pierce easily. Drain and return to pot. Add butter, salt and pepper to taste and toss until the butter is melted all over. Serve hot.

I read years ago in an 1800s cookbook that root vegetables should be cooked with a lid on them and NOT salted until after they are cooked as the salt can cause them to be bitter and "tough". A small amount of sugar (the same amount of salt you would add to the water) added to the water while cooking root veggies greatly improves the flavor and texture. Since reading this, I have always prepared them this way and it holds to be true, in my experience.

The only root vegetable this does NOT apply to is potatoes because they are not really a vegetable, but a tuber.

Angel
    "There was one of two things I had a right to – liberty, or death.
    If I could not have one I would have the other; for no man should take me alive."
    Harriet Tubman

"The President eats dirt and excrement for his daily meals, likes it and tries to force it on The States."
    Walt Whitman

"The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in time of moral crisis, maintain their neutrality" Dante "The Inferno"

Quote Originally Posted by AngelDance View Post
    I adore turnips. I love the greens, too, but the turnip? YUMMY!

Dice in half inch dice. Simmer in water enough to cover with just a little sugar added until tender enough for a knife to pierce easily. Drain and return to pot. Add butter, salt and pepper to taste and toss until the butter is melted all over. Serve hot.

I read years ago in an 1800s cookbook that root vegetables should be cooked with a lid on them and NOT salted until after they are cooked as the salt can cause them to be bitter and "tough". A small amount of sugar (the same amount of salt you would add to the water) added to the water while cooking root veggies greatly improves the flavor and texture. Since reading this, I have always prepared them this way and it holds to be true, in my experience.

The only root vegetable this does NOT apply to is potatoes because they are not really a vegetable, but a tuber.

Angel
    O.K. lets explore this......taking this to the canning of turnip. The directions in the ball book said to add salt to the jars. So how about adding the same teaspoon of sugar for the canning process. would that work for eliminating that little bite that the canned turnips have? What do you think?

Default A little late answering this but...

Quote Originally Posted by joyce1954 View Post
    O.K. lets explore this......taking this to the canning of turnip. The directions in the ball book said to add salt to the jars. So how about adding the same teaspoon of sugar for the canning process. would that work for eliminating that little bite that the canned turnips have? What do you think?

I'll let you know joyce. I have a HUGE turnip patch going and hubby planted the ones this year that also develop an edible root to it. We used to just grow the ones that are only good for the greens. But since I love turnips, he planted them for me. And now there are enough out there to feed a small city LOL. So I am going to can some up and I will try the sugar instead of the salt in them. I plan on doing them Sunday while the guys are watching football and out from underfoot. But you know what they say about the best laid plans...

She

Oh my turnip, my MOST FAVORITE veggie. I like them any way you want to cook them and raw. But probably the most liked by the family is cut up with potato and carrots until tended with salted water. Drain very well, all lots of butter, salt and pepper and mash all together until smooth. This will make them golden in color and sooo yummy. Now, if my grandpa were here, he would make a mountain out of mine, make a road around my plate and place peas along the road. (He always made sure I ate my veggies by making them fun on my plate. Smart Granpa I had. I miss his soooo much. Good eating everyone. AL

Paula Deens Turnips in Dijon Sauce-Yummy!

2 med. turnips pealed and sliced
    1 med potato peeled and diced
    1 carrot diced
    1 onion diced
    1 stalk celery diced
    1/2 cup mayonaise
    1 TBS Dijon Mustard
    1 TBS lemon juice
    Pepper

Steam the vegetables for 10 minutes, or until tender. Combine mayo, mustard, lemon juice, and pepper in small saucepan and heat gently. Add the veggies to the sauce and stir to coat. Serve immediately.

i just boil them up with a pinch of sugar, then mash like spuds ,yummy.
    adding sigarinstead of salt, wil take the bite out of them when you can them up.
    momof23goats