Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Very Easy Bread Recipe

We use either type of yeast.
    The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever. Isaiah 40:8

so what makes fast yeast fast?

This looks like just what I am looking for. House mate wants to try the Amish Bread (last night's batch got contaminated by being next to a moldy loaf last night, the dogs will enjoy it I'm sure...*sigh*) and I loved it. DH, did not like it, he likes rough, solid manly bread (only in white or rye flour) and prefers the European chewy or hard crust versions. This looks like something he would really like and if I can keep it in a crock on the pantry or sometimes in the the fridge, I think it will proof out nicely. DH also likes a touch of proofing or sourness to his bread (Irish house-mate hates this) so this may be the easy way to deal.

I'm trying to avoid becoming a three bread family (I want some whole-grains myself) but having something like this may make that easier if it comes to that. Not to mention I can try it myself with whole grains. My guess is going to be that this bread is wonderful when first baked, but gets stale by the next day. Pretty much all the non-oil breads do that, but its OK if your not making very much, or don't mind extra bread crumbs to cook with.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

This bread has never lasted long enough in our house to get stale, so I don't know how long it stays fresh. Usually people are in the kitchen waiting for it to cool so they can cut into it. The recipe appealed to me because it doesn't take many ingredients. I don't know very much about yeast-I just use whichever I have available and it hasn't been a problem yet.
    The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever. Isaiah 40:8

Just made my second batch of this. It is so easy! I feel like I am cheating! The bread turns out perfect every time, with a nice hard crust and soft inside. I am going to need to make a permanent spot in my fridge for the dough crock.
    Barb

Quote Originally Posted by BTR View Post
    Just made my second batch of this. It is so easy! I feel like I am cheating! The bread turns out perfect every time, with a nice hard crust and soft inside. I am going to need to make a permanent spot in my fridge for the dough crock.
    So far, i haven't even put mine in the fridge-I have just left it on the kitchen counter in a crock.

Smile

I've been meaning to make this bread even bought all the ingredients been so busy (I really don't have any excuses that's how fast you can make this bread, lol).

Here are some links I found a while back when I was searching for this bread you might find helpful too.

No Knead Method
    http://forums.idos.org/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=7643

Sourdough No Knead Method
    http://www.breadtopia.com/sourdough-no-knead-method/

Sicilian No Knead Bread
    http://www.breadtopia.com/sicilian-no-knead-bread/

Thanks for the bread links. I love bread better than any other food. (To my detriment).

when it says add a bowl of boiling water, does it mean add it to the dough?
    For Those About to Rock.... Grab a Gun! REVOLUTION!
    "Load up on guns and bring your friends, it's fun to lose and to pretend..." ~ Kurt Cobain

Are you talking about when it says to put it in the oven? If so, NO, you do not add it to the dough. Just put a boiling pan of water in the oven with the bread to "steam" it as it's cooking :)