Thread: cornbread recipes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Add honey to the batter, even Jiffy....Oh Boy extra special
    cg

as close as you can get to Atlanta and still have chickens

thanks for the help ladies. i'll give it a shot.
    Respect God. Love your family. What else is there?

yum, I love Jiffy mix cornbread! when making the cornbread recipe on the side of the cornbread bag, add a tablespoon of sugar(and someone else mentioned honey) to it. I find it tastes more like the jiffy mix that way. the flour ratio was a good tip also.
    straightstreet<><
    Acts 9:10-12

In Damascus there was a disciple named Ananias. The Lord called to him in a vision, "Ananias!" "Yes, Lord," he answered. The Lord told him, "Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight."

Better than Jiffy Cornbread

1 c. all purpose flour
    1 c. yellow or white cornmeal
    1/4 c. sugar(more or less to taste)
    2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 large eggs
    1 c. buttermilk(real or made with the powdered)
    1/4 c. veg oil(or corn or canola)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat an 8x8 pan with cooking spray.
    Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
    Whisk together eggs, buttermilk and oil in separate bowl. Fold egg mix into dry ingredients. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 25 min or until top is lightly browned and springs back when touched. Cool on rack 5 min.

This recipe calls for 1/4 c. chopped fresh sage. I don't like it that way, but you might like to try it as sage cornbread.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodEnergy View Post
    Better than Jiffy Cornbread

1 c. all purpose flour
    1 c. yellow or white cornmeal
    1/4 c. sugar(more or less to taste)
    2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 large eggs
    1 c. buttermilk(real or made with the powdered)
    1/4 c. veg oil(or corn or canola)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat an 8x8 pan with cooking spray.
    Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
    Whisk together eggs, buttermilk and oil in separate bowl. Fold egg mix into dry ingredients. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 25 min or until top is lightly browned and springs back when touched. Cool on rack 5 min.

This recipe calls for 1/4 c. chopped fresh sage. I don't like it that way, but you might like to try it as sage cornbread.
    GE, do you know if you can you use regular milk with that recipe?

thanks for sharing, btw.

When I discovered that my mother-in-laws corn bread was (as I suspected) in fact Jiffy Mix, I just added a bit more flour (now use a 50/50 flour/corn meal) and a small amount of sugar. Since DH doesn't like really sweet corn bread and claims not to like it sweetened at all, I just add at most a tablespoon, often left. He suddenly liked the corn bread better so that seems to be the real difference.

For kids, I think the extra flour plus honey would be a good way to make the corn bread more cake like. Another thing I discovered by accident is that yogurt makes the lightest and smoothest cornbread you can think of. It takes a lot of yogurt, but its worth it.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by Disastercat View Post
    When I discovered that my mother-in-laws corn bread was (as I suspected) in fact Jiffy Mix, I just added a bit more flour (now use a 50/50 flour/corn meal) and a small amount of sugar. Since DH doesn't like really sweet corn bread and claims not to like it sweetened at all, I just add at most a tablespoon, often left. He suddenly liked the corn bread better so that seems to be the real difference.

For kids, I think the extra flour plus honey would be a good way to make the corn bread more cake like. Another thing I discovered by accident is that yogurt makes the lightest and smoothest cornbread you can think of. It takes a lot of yogurt, but its worth it.
    yogurt? you're kidding! i bet that would make it very moist. please share.

Quote Originally Posted by patticakes View Post
    GE, do you know if you can you use regular milk with that recipe?

thanks for sharing, btw.
    Yvw. Before I got a can of powdered buttermilk I made it often with regular milk and couldn't honestly tell the difference.

My neighbor taught me this: Use a cast iron skillet to cook the cornbread. Put some of the recipe oil into the cast iron skillet and put that skillet into the oven while it is pre-heating and the remaining mixture is being prepared. When the oil "smokes" (or really hot, in other words) add it to the completed mixture and stir well. When you add the batter to the skillet, it sizzles! When the corn bread is done, the crust is crisp and good. That is, if you like crisp crust. Also, I remove the cornbread from the cast iron when it is done to prevent it from further cooking of the crust.