Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cornbread recipes

as close as you can get to Atlanta and still have chickens

Default cornbread recipes

do any of you have a recipe for cornbread that makes the bread come out more similar to the Jiffy mix?

i made regular cornbread (i.e. from a bag of cornmeal) and the kids didn't like it. i guess they like it fluffier - more like cake than bread. yes, i know, when the TSHTF, they'll just have to suck it up. but until then i'd like to be able to rotate out my cornmeal without having to dump the end-product in the garbage.

thanks in advance to all.
    Last edited by patticakes; 03-15-2009 at 06:47 AM. Reason: whoopsie. i probably should have put this in the kitchen thread. i didn't realize i was still in the cookbook.
    Respect God. Love your family. What else is there?

I've never been able to make good cornbread without Jiffy mix. Someone Help!
    The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever. Isaiah 40:8

Use the recipe on the cornmeal bag but change the ratio of the flour to corn meal. Most use 50-50 ratio the closer you get to 75-25 (flour the 75) the fluffier and lighter the bread(more cake like.) It tends to make the corn meal less dominant. I find that my guys like it about 60-40.

Add honey to the batter, even Jiffy....Oh Boy extra special
    cg

thanks for the help ladies. i'll give it a shot.

yum, I love Jiffy mix cornbread! when making the cornbread recipe on the side of the cornbread bag, add a tablespoon of sugar(and someone else mentioned honey) to it. I find it tastes more like the jiffy mix that way. the flour ratio was a good tip also.
    straightstreet<><
    Acts 9:10-12

In Damascus there was a disciple named Ananias. The Lord called to him in a vision, "Ananias!" "Yes, Lord," he answered. The Lord told him, "Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight."

Better than Jiffy Cornbread

1 c. all purpose flour
    1 c. yellow or white cornmeal
    1/4 c. sugar(more or less to taste)
    2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 large eggs
    1 c. buttermilk(real or made with the powdered)
    1/4 c. veg oil(or corn or canola)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat an 8x8 pan with cooking spray.
    Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
    Whisk together eggs, buttermilk and oil in separate bowl. Fold egg mix into dry ingredients. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 25 min or until top is lightly browned and springs back when touched. Cool on rack 5 min.

This recipe calls for 1/4 c. chopped fresh sage. I don't like it that way, but you might like to try it as sage cornbread.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodEnergy View Post
    Better than Jiffy Cornbread

1 c. all purpose flour
    1 c. yellow or white cornmeal
    1/4 c. sugar(more or less to taste)
    2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 large eggs
    1 c. buttermilk(real or made with the powdered)
    1/4 c. veg oil(or corn or canola)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat an 8x8 pan with cooking spray.
    Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
    Whisk together eggs, buttermilk and oil in separate bowl. Fold egg mix into dry ingredients. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 25 min or until top is lightly browned and springs back when touched. Cool on rack 5 min.

This recipe calls for 1/4 c. chopped fresh sage. I don't like it that way, but you might like to try it as sage cornbread.
    GE, do you know if you can you use regular milk with that recipe?

thanks for sharing, btw.

When I discovered that my mother-in-laws corn bread was (as I suspected) in fact Jiffy Mix, I just added a bit more flour (now use a 50/50 flour/corn meal) and a small amount of sugar. Since DH doesn't like really sweet corn bread and claims not to like it sweetened at all, I just add at most a tablespoon, often left. He suddenly liked the corn bread better so that seems to be the real difference.

For kids, I think the extra flour plus honey would be a good way to make the corn bread more cake like. Another thing I discovered by accident is that yogurt makes the lightest and smoothest cornbread you can think of. It takes a lot of yogurt, but its worth it.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by Disastercat View Post
    When I discovered that my mother-in-laws corn bread was (as I suspected) in fact Jiffy Mix, I just added a bit more flour (now use a 50/50 flour/corn meal) and a small amount of sugar. Since DH doesn't like really sweet corn bread and claims not to like it sweetened at all, I just add at most a tablespoon, often left. He suddenly liked the corn bread better so that seems to be the real difference.

For kids, I think the extra flour plus honey would be a good way to make the corn bread more cake like. Another thing I discovered by accident is that yogurt makes the lightest and smoothest cornbread you can think of. It takes a lot of yogurt, but its worth it.
    yogurt? you're kidding! i bet that would make it very moist. please share.