Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casseroles

Default Casseroles

Post casserole recipes here.
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

Default Casserole with potatoes

Heat Oven to 400 degrees F.

Chop one large onion and precook in frypan until transparent, salt & pepper
    Cook three or four strips of bacon until very crisp
    Peel and slice thin several nice potatoes
    To one can of creamed soup, add 3/4 can of 1/2 and 1/2
    Mix well
    Add all ingredients (you can add cooked hamburger or chicken that is leftover cooked too if you want a one dish meal)
    Put everything in a large baking dish that has been oiled
    bake covered with foil for 1 1/2 hours. Check on it to make sure it isn't overcooking after one hour.

I find different kinds of potatoes cook in a different amount of time. I love the red and yukon but they both will take the full time to be tender.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by Animal Lover; 09-22-2008 at 04:11 PM. Reason: can't spell

I guess you could call this a casserole. I like it because it's very easy to make, versatile, and makes great use of leftovers, although you can certainly make it from scratch, too.

Popover Pie

Crust:

2 eggs
    1 cup milk
    1 cup flour (white or whole wheat)
    1 T. oil
    1/2 t. salt

Beat, with wire whisk or crank-style egg beater, until smooth. Pour over filling in a greased 13"X9" pan. Bake at 425 deg, 25 - 30 minutes, or until lightly browned.

Fillings:

Really, you can use just about anything, but here are a few ideas to get you started.

-Hamburger with pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese.
    -Hamburger with taco sauce and cheddar cheese. Add sour cream, too, if you like.
    -Hamburger with onion, bell pepper, tomato sauce, and cheddar cheese.
    -Hamburger with spaghetti sauce and cheddar or mozzarella cheese
    -Seafood with cream sauce or cheese sauce and monterrey jack or pepper cheese
    -Chili with cheddar
    -Barbecue meat with cheddar.
    -Ham with swiss (add some cream of whatever soup, if you like).
    -Chicken with cheese
    -Turkey, broccoli, swiss or cheddar cheese
    -Vegetables with cream or cheese sauce, and cheese.
    -Corned beef, potatoes, cabbage, and swiss cheese
    -Sauerkraut, sausage or corned beef, swiss cheese
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

Default Shepard's Pie

Probably everyone has their version of this one, but it is definitely my family's favorite.

Brown hamburger (I use leanest I can get)
    Brown lightly one chopped large onion in tiny bit of butter that has been added to the drippings of your hamburger if needed.
    Mix one can of mushroom soup with 3/4 cup of 1/2 & 1/2 and pour into hamburger/onion mixture.
    Place in oven proof baking dish
    Drain one or two cans of corn (yes canned is better in this than frozen)
    Put on top of your hamburger and gravy mixture
    Top with lots and lots of buttered mashed potatoes.
    Since everything is already cooked, it only takes about 30 plus minutes to heat this through in your oven at about 375 degrees F. until your potato topping is browned.

Make more than you think you need, because they will call come back for seconds. Enjoy

Belle your popover recipe sounds great. I will certainly give it a go in several different versions. Thanks so much. In these times of high prices, one pot meals will give us lots more vitamins and minerals than meals done individually. Because we are using all the juices and I try not to peel the veggies as this does add a lot of vitamins to. These are small differences that will help to keep us healthy when times get very difficult for those of us on small incomes or with lots of children to keep sturdy and healthy. Thanks to you all for your help in this area.

I don't get to make it as often as I'd like because I just can't bring myself to pay $5 a pound, or more, for cheese. Most of the time, I have a choice of a pound of cheese or 2-3 pounds of meat. Meat always wins. I might try it without the cheese and see how it is. I sure miss having cheese, though.

You live on the opposite coast, but here there are stores that sell 2 pound blocks usually for about $6 to $7. Used to be as low as $4 to $5, but everything has gone up.

I don't know if you have Grocery OUtlet there, but DH got a 5# block of Swiss cheese there for about $1.60 a pound. They often have really good deals on cheese.
    May All Be Well

Asato Ma Sad Gamaya
    Tamasi Ma Jyotir Gamaya

May we leave illusion and come to the Truth
    May we leave the darkness and come to the Light

BeWell, unless I want to drive 2 hours, round trip, there is only one store by me, an IGA. Their deli cheese is $6 a pound and up. Their Kraft cheese, and the generic brands, are at least $5 a pound. The 2 pound bag of shredded cheddar or mozzarella, is the cheapest they have (not to mention a couple of ounces shy of 2 lbs.) is $9.89.

They thought they'd fool people and put a box of stuff that wouldn't sell in the dairy case and labelled it 'clearance'. I did a little math and found out the cheese in that box was $2 a pound MORE than the cheese on the shelf. The orange juice was $1 more per half gallon, and the yoghurt was 15 cents more, for some really strange flavors. As of last Friday, that stuff has been there for 5 weeks and I suspect it's still there.

Hi Belle, Going to use your popover recipe with saged chicken and gravy tonight. I think it will be yummy. Thanks for sharing with us. Al

Belle, Used your Popover recipe tonight. Wonderful. Thank you so much. AL