Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parmalat Milk

Default Parmalat Milk

Well, this is not about Parmalat specifically, but about all those milk brands that can sit on a shelf unopened for up to a year without spoiling. I've been wondering this a long time -- how is this possible??

tons of chemicals.
    momof23goats

It is heat processed like canning. generally no chemicals but is a little sweeter due to high heat converts the sugars a littler more if that makes sense. just got home after 14 hr shift no brain cells left.
    “The thing about being a survivalist kook and stockpiling gold, guns, and food is that there’s no downside. Even if you’re wrong, you’ve still got gold, guns, and food.”

The ingredient list on the carton I have states "Grade A UHT reduced fat milk, vitamin A palmitate and vitamin D3". Their website is http://farmlanddairies.com.

Its UHT which stand for Ultra High Temperature something-or-other. This stuff is very popular on this side of the water, the more so with students and others. Over here, most are supposed to keep about six months, so I rotate my every few months or so, when it gets close to the due date I cook with it. Its a great backup for fresh milk, but I can taste a difference, that's for sure.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

I have some stored up and it's not bad cold. We are so used to fresh milk from the grocery store it may take some getting used to. In Europe, it's found everywhere. It does store good and I've used it in cooking. I think it's similar to evaporated milk in cooking.

Liberty is offline Tree of Liberty Supporter

We buy the #10 cans of Provident Pantry dry milk from Emergency Essentials, and it's got an excellent taste. DH didn't even know that's what he was drinking. I just ordered another case this evening.

Not fit for human consumption.

OK for cooking.

ouch

Not fit for human consumption.

OK for cooking.

ouch
    Which one Parmalot or Provident Pantry? I use Parm all the time and was thinking about ordering the PP dry milk.
    “The thing about being a survivalist kook and stockpiling gold, guns, and food is that there’s no downside. Even if you’re wrong, you’ve still got gold, guns, and food.”

When I lived in Europe there was a carton box of milk on the dry goods shelf, it was irradiated, I thought that is what they did with Parmalat Milk.