Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beef TVP Chunks

Default Beef TVP Chunks

Does any one have any recipes for using beef TVP chunks in place of beef?

Just curious - do you REALLY like that soy tofu-like stuff? I have tried it many times much to my dismay every time. I understand the best way to use it is in stir fry recipes with LOTS of veggies and sauces.

Most costly mistake I ever made was buying cases of TVP - even the food pantry and homeless shelter wouldn't take them.

You should, in theory, be able to use them in place of beef in any recipe

Personally, I'd rather eat a neanderthal
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

LOL... glad it's not just me!! Seriously,.. I have a few #10 cans of the stuff, (thankfully I didn't buy a ton of it), and we really don't consider it edible. I'm guessing you could make a sort-of acceptable "hamburger helper" type meal from it... rehydrate it (if you are starting with dehydrated), brown it in a pan, (butter certainly wouldn't hurt the flavor- add some onion and garlic if you have it), add boullion or gravy mix and water, and toss in sliced potatoes (fresh or dried), and any veggies you want. A good slug of Worchestershire sauce or AI or something like that might help.

Our will either end up as dog food or to hand out to folks who are hungry enough that "taste" won't matter much.

Summerthyme

as close as you can get to Atlanta and still have chickens

save it as a barter item. there are bound to be people who don't realize just how gross that stuff really is.
    Respect God. Love your family. What else is there?

Like the rest of you I don't really like it. I bought a case or two pre Y2K and never had a need to use it. I did try it once or twice but never got the hang of it. I was hoping that some of you may have a recipe that would help me out. I am trying to make some 'beef stew' with some of it right now. I doubt if it will be edible but will give it a shot. I guess when TSHTF I'll be able to get it down but until then it'll probably stay in storage.

If you have dogs, feed it to them (if THEY will eat it)

Personally, I stay away from soy.Way too many phytoestrogens. Why do you think Asians have the smallest dinkies of any ethnic group? Can't be coincidence.

Angel
    "There was one of two things I had a right to – liberty, or death.
    If I could not have one I would have the other; for no man should take me alive."
    Harriet Tubman

"The President eats dirt and excrement for his daily meals, likes it and tries to force it on The States."
    Walt Whitman

"The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in time of moral crisis, maintain their neutrality" Dante "The Inferno"

TVP is best in recipes that call for ground beef--tacos, spaghetti sauce, chili. Season it like crazy, and you might be able to choke it down.

That said, I regard TVP as a food of last resort, and strongly advise you to stock up on Beano and Gas-X--you'll be needing it.
    All best,
    Cyberiot

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. –Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by AngelDance View Post
    Personally, I stay away from soy.Way too many phytoestrogens. Why do you think Asians have the smallest dinkies of any ethnic group? Can't be coincidence.

Angel
    Angel, you owe me a new keyboard!Attachment 1552
    All best,
    Cyberiot

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. –Robert Heinlein

What is TVP??