Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crocked Dill Pickles

Quote Originally Posted by Micah68 View Post
    ... In 2-3 weeks, test a pickle by cutting it open. If it is the same color throughout, with no white spots, they are ready to use.
    What does it mean if they have white spots? Bad batch? Mold?

One other question. How do you keep these good for up to a year if you don't can them? Does the croc method kill off all bacteria or something. I'm new to all of this so I'm just trying to understand the process.

Thanks!
    How Is That Hopey Changey Thing Workin' Out For Ya?

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. American View Post
    Something I forgot to address: Don't use table cukes for making dill pickles. They have thicker skins than pickling cukes so it's hard for the brine to penetrate. They sog easier, too.

I HAVE used table cukes sliced for bread n butter pickles and that works ok, but the pickling cuke works better for maintaining crisp.

Also, if you do have to store cukes in the fridge before pickling, make sure they don't freeze! I almost lost an entire batch because they froze. Mine's a brand new fridge, so I wasn't expecting that. But do check them just in case. The ones in the water were ok, but the ones that stuck out, froze.
    I use table cukes for crocked pickles, but I quarter or halve them. They don't crisp as nice, but they do work.

She's not kidding about that freezing thing - it'll kill 'em quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Perrybucsdad View Post
    What does it mean if they have white spots? Bad batch? Mold?

One other question. How do you keep these good for up to a year if you don't can them? Does the croc method kill off all bacteria or something. I'm new to all of this so I'm just trying to understand the process.

Thanks!
    White spots mean they haven't absorbed the brine all the way through yet and need to soak longer. This is hard to explain, but if you look at pickles, notice how the part that is white in a cucumber is now sort of greenish/greyish/off white?? That's all I meant.

I, personally, have never kept them a year - we eat them too fast. The brine is so acidic that they are supposed to stay good that long, and my grandmother said they had kept them that long a couple of times when they had bumper crops. If you are doing this for long term, you have to ensure a moderate temperature, keep the brine skimmed off, and change the brine if it gets cloudy.
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

Quote Originally Posted by SheWoff View Post
    BTT

I did make a crock of these today and can't wait to dig into them! We love dill pickles around here and canned ones just can't get as good as the ones out of a crock. Oh, and I figured out what to use for a crock lol. I got an old crockpot that the element had died and am just using the crock part for the pickles!

She
    in lieu of recent pickle conversations......how did you like the pickles, Summerthyme?
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

Ok..Just a couple questions..I forgot to poke them & some are on the larger size...& I am all done..just did it today after I read your recipe..even gather grape leaves...should I pull out the plate & ram the knitting needle in for a few pricks? Second, I scored at an estate sale yesterday & in box of books, "All about Pickling"..it shows fermentation pickling..even putting wax over top once fermentation is done...but here is my confusion....in the general introduction there is a big yellow box that "all pickle products should be heat processed, fermentation or percentage of vinegar are not sufficient to destroy any possibility of botulism or other harmful microorganisms....that heat processing is the final step....what say you?
    Also for desalting it mentions 2 ways: 1. soak them in equal parts vinegar & water2. simmer in fresh water, hold simmer for 20minutes; drain, repeat them remove from heat & let stand 12 hours or so.
    Thanks all you picklers....was going to send my crocks off to auction because they appraised for a great price...so hoping they make some tasty pickles.

Quote Originally Posted by LAD View Post
    Ok..Just a couple questions..I forgot to poke them & some are on the larger size...& I am all done..just did it today after I read your recipe..even gather grape leaves...should I pull out the plate & ram the knitting needle in for a few pricks? Second, I scored at an estate sale yesterday & in box of books, "All about Pickling"..it shows fermentation pickling..even putting wax over top once fermentation is done...but here is my confusion....in the general introduction there is a big yellow box that "all pickle products should be heat processed, fermentation or percentage of vinegar are not sufficient to destroy any possibility of botulism or other harmful microorganisms....that heat processing is the final step....what say you?
    Also for desalting it mentions 2 ways: 1. soak them in equal parts vinegar & water2. simmer in fresh water, hold simmer for 20minutes; drain, repeat them remove from heat & let stand 12 hours or so.
    Thanks all you picklers....was going to send my crocks off to auction because they appraised for a great price...so hoping they make some tasty pickles.
    first where are you located? Anywhere close enough for me to buy your crocks?

second - stabbing them won't hurt, and might help.

third - I think the usda says you have to heat process. I don't, because my family never has. If you want absolute safety, go with the USDA.

fourth - I have no idea about the desalting, I've never tried it.

Be sure and let us know how they turned out!

HI Micah...thanks for your reply....too late tonight, but will get the knitting needle out tomorrow...I tasted some of the peppers floating in there & am thinking they are tasting real good already. OK, thanks for the USDA info; they probably have to say that in the book...the drawing looks like they are eating them right out of the barrell....& you are still living & making pickles!
    Mentioned the desalting thing because someone else was asking that question so thought I'd mention what "the Book" said.
    I am in Michigan so not so close to Wyoming....stoneware crocks are in great condition with the makers mark & pretty blue...one with dragon fly & one with blue bird...pretty expensive pickles though..one auction house said expect to sell for 300-$400 another said $250-$350..if we were closer i'd have to cut my "pickle teacher" a deal on one...might have to keep one for the new project you got me into...

Quote Originally Posted by LAD View Post
    I am in Michigan so not so close to Wyoming....stoneware crocks are in great condition with the makers mark & pretty blue...one with dragon fly & one with blue bird...pretty expensive pickles though..one auction house said expect to sell for 300-$400 another said $250-$350..if we were closer i'd have to cut my "pickle teacher" a deal on one...might have to keep one for the new project you got me into...
    crocks are great for saurkraut, too. Are yours the big 5 gallon crocks, or are they smaller? They are very expensive and getting harder to find all the time. I need 3 more in order to have one for each of my children's hope/marriage chests. Probably would not survive shipping, though.

Hi Micah..they are 3 gal size...this will make you feel better...one has a fine crack in it & has a slow leak...guess I picked the right one to put pickles in....than I have smaller ones..like gallon with no marking....I was thinking maybe I could wax the inside of the slow leak...so the boiling brine in an stainless steele pot & than transfer after it cools? What say you? How old are your children? Maybe I can use them awhile & than pass them on.
    Thanks..gonna go sterilze the knitting needle.