Thread: Asparagus Soup - fresh or to can

Default Asparagus Soup - fresh or to can

1-1/2 pounds asparagus or so (can use the tougher parts, too)
    4 T butter
    2 leeks, with 1 inch of green, cleaned, halved and sliced
    OR 4-6 green onions prepared the same way
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 large potato, peeled and diced small
    7 c broth (I prefer chicken but also use vegetable - beef overpowers)
    1/2 t salt
    1 c cream
    3 eggs - well beaten
    Salt
    pepper

Trim the asparagus, setting the tips in one pile and the stalks (cut in one inch peices) in another

Saute the onions/leeks in the butter until tender. Add the garlic for the last minute or so.

Add the asparagus stalks, potato, and enough stock to cover the vegetables and bring to a boil. Simmer, vented, until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.

While the vegetables are cooking, bring 2 cups water and 1/2 tsp salt to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the asparagus tips and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes, Drain and set aside.

When the vegetables are tender (not the tips) run them through your squeezo or food mill. Return the purée to the saucepan. Add the remaining stock, bring to a simmer, and remove from the heat.

In a small bowl, beat eggs in the cream and whisk in 1 big spoonfull of the hot soup. Whisk into the hot soup and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the soup thickens. Do not allow the soup to boil or the eggs will curdle. Add salt and pepper to taste.

*****If you want to can asparagus soup: do everything EXCEPT the egg and cream part. Do those when you open the jar to use.
    Process your plain asparagus soup 40 minutes at 10 pounds.
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

as close as you can get to Atlanta and still have chickens

that sure does sound good!! thanks.
    Respect God. Love your family. What else is there?

LP Guest

That sounds wonderful! I love asparagus soup!

It is wonderful,I make it, and dh loves it. He takes it on the road with him. I just finished putting up 30 pounds of Asparagus.
    and also got 16 quarts of strawberries done tonight. no wonder it is late, an d I am so tired.
    momof23goats

I will be so glad when my asparagus bed is actually producing! I moved it from last year and it has not done as well. I just picked one little shoot while I was out a few minutes ago and it was soooo good! I can just eat it raw:) The soup sounds delicious!

Sherry in GA

Oh wow does that sound yummy. Oh Mom I just saw your note too, oh my gosh woman that is toooooo much work for one day. Hope you are sleeping soon. AL