Thread: Yellow Squash Recipes

Default Yellow Squash Recipes

Squash Potatoe Casserole

5-6 green onions, sliced thin
    1 c parmesan cheese (cheddar works, too)
    2 T flour
    1 T fresh thyme, or dried equivalent
    1 1/2 t salt
    3/4 t pepper
    2 lb. potatoes (new red, or yukon gold are best, but any work)
    1 lb. yellow squash
    6 t olive oil

Wash and slice the potatoes and squash into 1/8" slices. Set aside 1/4 c of the green onions. Mix together the rest of the green onions, cheese, flour, thyme, salt, and pepper. In a large, greased, casserole dish layer 1/6 of the potatoes, slightly overlapping them. Then layer 1/4 of the squash. Drizzle with 1 t olive oil, and sprinkle with 1/6 of the cheese mix.
    Repeat those layers. Cover and bake at 375' for about 40 minutes, or until the potatoes are almost tender. Uncover, sprinkle on the reserved green onions, and bake another 25 minutes. (I usually sprinkle a bit of cheese on with the onions for the last 25 minutes)
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

Spicy Pickled Squash

8 c yellow squash, sliced or diced
    2 c onion, sliced or diced
    1 T salt
    1/2 c each green and red bell pepper
    2 c cider vinegar
    3 1/2 c sugar
    1 t celery seed
    1 t mustard seed
    1/4 c green chilis and/or jalapenos if desired

Mix the squash and onions, sprinkle with salt and let stand 1 hour. Add everything else and bring to a boil. Pack in jars and water bath for 15 minutes. (Slice the veggies if you want to eat this as a side dish, or dice them if you want a relish

Grilled Summer Veggies

Slice equal parts yellow squash and zuchini (don't peel them or they fall apart on the grill).
    Slice half that amount of onions and bell peppers.

Put foil on the grill, coat it with olive oil, and pour the veggies on in as single layer as you can. Sprinkle with Mrs. Dash, Seasoning Salt, Garlic Herb blend, or whatever seasoning blend is your families favorite. As veggies brown, remove them.
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

Squash Puppies

2 LB squash, cooked and mashed to 2 cups pulp
    2 eggs
    2/3 c flour
    2/3 c cornmeal
    2 t baking powder
    1 t salt
    1/2 t pepper
    1/4 t cayenne (can be left out)
    1/4 t garlic powder
    1 med. onion, grated or finely chopped

Mix the eggs and squash mush. Mix the dry ingredients and add to the mush. Fold in the onions. drop by spoonfulls into hot oil and fry

MexAmerican Squash
    2 T butter
    2 c diced onion
    4 lb squash +/-, sliced half inch thick
    1/2 lb cheese (can use velveeta, cheddar, I typically use Co-Jack)
    1 can cream of celery soup (I use homemade when I have it)
    1 c diced green chilis
    1/8 c diced jalapenos
    1/2 c crumbs (cracker, bread, crouton, etc - I use crushed tortilla chips)

Saute the onion and squash until slightly soft. Drain. Mix the cheese, soup, chilis and jalapenos. Add the squash and onions. Put in greased casserole dish and cover with the crumbs. Bake 350 for about 30 minutes.

Yankee Yellow Squash Casserole
    (no offense to anyone - that is just what we have always called it)

4 lb. yellow squash +/-, sliced
    1/2 c chopped onion
    1/2 c chopped bell pepper
    1/2 c crumbs (bread, cracker, etc - I use homemade croutons)
    1 c shredded sharp cheddar
    2 eggs, beaten
    3/4 c milk
    1/4 c melted butter
    1 t salt
    1 t seasoning salt
    1/2 t pepper
    2 T butter

Saute or boil squash, peppers, and onions until tender, then drain. Mix the crumbs and cheese and put half of it in with the squash and onions. Mix the eggs and milk and add to squash. Stir in the melted butter and seasonings. put in greased 9x13 and sprinkle with remaining crumbs and dot with the 2T butter. Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes until brown.

I cut up both yellow squash and zuccini squash and add it to chili at the last minute so it's just cooked tender crisp. Mmmm.
    Hey, don't knock it until you try it.

as close as you can get to Atlanta and still have chickens

Quote Originally Posted by Micah68 View Post

Yankee Yellow Squash Casserole
    (no offense to anyone - that is just what we have always called it)

4 lb. yellow squash +/-, sliced
    1/2 c chopped onion
    1/2 c chopped bell pepper
    1/2 c crumbs (bread, cracker, etc - I use homemade croutons)
    1 c shredded sharp cheddar
    2 eggs, beaten
    3/4 c milk
    1/4 c melted butter
    1 t salt
    1 t seasoning salt
    1/2 t pepper
    2 T butter

Saute or boil squash, peppers, and onions until tender, then drain. Mix the crumbs and cheese and put half of it in with the squash and onions. Mix the eggs and milk and add to squash. Stir in the melted butter and seasonings. put in greased 9x13 and sprinkle with remaining crumbs and dot with the 2T butter. Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes until brown.
    i had to giggle when i read the title of this one. being a "Yankee" but living in the south, i tend to get rather defensive when something is labeled as Yankee.

in the above reciepe, if you took out the bell pepper and split the squash evenly into yellow and zuchinni, that is the exact recipe my mom used to make!! it was the only way she could get us to eat squash as kids.

also, this recipe freezes well (especially for squash). mom would make a batch and split it into 2 loaf pans and freeze them - pulling one out as a dinner side dish later in the year. man, that stuff is awesome!!!

this recipe get two "Yankee" thumbs up!
    Respect God. Love your family. What else is there?

Default Crookneck Squash Medley

3 yellow crookneck squash, seeded and chopped or in 1/4" slices
    1 large onion, chopped
    8 oz frozen corn, thawed
    1/2 C butter
    salt
    pepper

Saute the onion in the butter until almost translucent. Add the squash and saute until tender. Add the thawed corn and heat through. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook to desired doneness.

We like it to start to carmalize a bit. Also yummy with some lima beans added in.

This is the time of year my husband comes home and asks, whats for dinner tonight? Summer Squash Surprise?
    And yes....usually I have cooked summer squash into something.
    Into a raw salad (cubed).
    put it into homemade veggie soup (only way to get my son to eat it)
    Saute it with onions, zuc, few spices and lil wine

Just about everynight.....
    These ideas are great, I'm going to print them all up and add them to my reproitaire, my husband will thank you,
    In Christ!