13 1/3 c white vinegar
5 1/3 c sugar
8 t coarse salt
8 t mustard seed
4 T dill seed
8 white onions, sliced into rings
4 t chili pepper flakes
10-12 sprigs fresh dill

Trim the cut end of the asparagus spears, and cut them into jar sized lengths. Place them in a large bowl with 1/3 cup salt, and cover with water. Let stand for 2 hours. Drain and rinse under cool water, and pat dry.

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the vinegar, sugar, 8 t salt, mustard seed, dill seed and onion rings. Bring to a boil, and boil for one minute.

Pack the asparagus spears, tips up, in the hot jars leaving 1/2 of space from the rim. Tuck one or two dill sprig into each jar, and sprinkle in 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes. Pour hot pickling liquid into the jars, filling to within 1/4 inch of the rim. Wipe rims with a clean damp cloth, and seal with lids. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

We also had grilled veggie wraps for dinner this evening....cut a roast into thin strips and marinate in your favorite marinade. Wrap a couple green beans, a couple carrot sticks, a couple asparagus, and a green onion (or whatever other combination you like) in the meat, skewer, and grill until meat is done. YUMMY. I sometimes like to wrap bacon around the outside of the meat, too.

My cream of asparagus soup recipe is on here somewhere if you are interested - the next batch of asparagus will go into that.

enjoy!