Thread: Sourdough Pancakes.

Post Sourdough Pancakes.

Night Before,

Make a basic batter, the night before, put 1-cup of sourdough starter in a large bowl.

Add 2 cups distilled or filtered tepid water and 2 1/2 cups of flour.

Mix well, then cover with a tea towel. DO NOT let mix get any warmer than 85 degrees or the wild yeast will die.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

In Morning,

Remove 1 cup of batter and add to your existing supply of sourdough starter.

This will leave approximately 4 1/2 cups of pancake dough, add 1 egg, 2 tablespoons cooking oil, mix dry milk and water together then put in a 1/4 cup of dry milk Mix Well

Then add... 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 2 tablespoons of sugar, blend together until smooth Let rest 15 minutes.

In mean time in a slightly oiled pan heat up to about 325 or 350 degrees. Cook both sides to a light golden brown making sure inside is cooked well ...... Then add butter syrup and bacon... coffee.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatcreekman View Post
    Night Before,

Make a basic batter, the night before, put 1-cup of sourdough starter in a large bowl.
    I have never cooked with sourdough but would love to try these. So please tell a novice where to start as I don't have any starter and do not know how to make/start it.

Thank you for getting me "Started"

Easy starter (based on one from the out of print Garden Way Bread book)

1 cup flour
    1 cup water
    2 tbs honey (more or less)
    1 package commercial yeast

Mix all together in a plastic, Pyrex or other non-metal container, at least double the size of the resulting mixture. Cover container with a cloth (best) or plastic wrap (if you live in a kitchen with too many flies/bugs). You will need some air to get into the mixture so if using plastic do not pull tighter. Place container on a plate or pan to catch spill overs if the starter rises too much. Place in a warm spot (by the solid fuel stove is good in Winter a window in Summer). Not too hot, you don't want to kill the yeast but warm. Keep away from your trash or indoor compost bin but near any home brewing you may have.

Let sit overnight and stir down. Do this for at least 48 hours before using, three or four days is best. Be sure to stir at least once a day during this first week. After one week, you can move your starter to a glass jar and keep it in the fridge. Each time you use it "feed it" another cup of water and flour and/or replace what you take out. If you don't like you starter too sour, you can add a bit of sugar or honey once a month or so.

If you do not cook with your starter every week, be sure to feed it at least every two weeks (once is better) you can throw the extra starter in the compost if you have to. You can also freeze starters for another time.

Now, you want to try your starter out as soon as you can to make sure it taste good. What you are doing is getting wild yeast from the air and sometimes they are wonderful and sometimes they raise bread or pancakes but taste terrible. If you get a bad one, just dump it out and start again. The same thing if after a year your original starter suddenly tastes bad (or turns black at the top) just start over.

When I get a really good starter, I sometimes freeze part of it so if I lose it, I can restart it later by adding it to the water/flour/honey mix when I may more.

Oh, and always make a sponge when making sour dough bread. That is where you take out the 1 cup starter and add 1 cup flour plus 1 cup water and let it sit over night. You can use starter direct in a pinch but sponges make much nicer bread or pancakes.

Have fun!
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Thank you,

I can do that, and I plan on trying it soon. I do like pancakes!

6 different ways to make starter and quite a number of recipes, too:

http://www.thetreeofliberty.com/vb/s...rdough+recipes

http://www.thetreeofliberty.com/vb/s...rdough+recipes
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

Quote Originally Posted by Micah68 View Post
    Many thanks to you and the Cat! Now I'm a Sourdough Expert! Recipes copied.