Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: H1N1 experience... interesting herbal discovery and REMEDIES!

Default H1N1 experience... interesting herbal discovery and REMEDIES!

Mods.. if you want to move this to the doctor's office or wherever, go right ahead. I think it's important enough I'd like people to see it...

Hubby is still fighting the flu, but was somewhat worse last night... not surprising since we finally finished haying and chores around 10 pm, and he spent almost 9 hours in the hot sun on the tractor. I did send elderberry back in gatorade every few hours, and it's clearly keeping this whole bug under control, but certainly not as well as if he was able to REST.

Last night a very odd symptom showed up, though... severely inflamed joints! I mean, elbows, wrists, every finger joint, hips, base of his spine... they all were red hot to the touch, very painful, and he said, difficult to move "felt swollen (but they weren't, at least not visibly) and stiff".

I gave him the usual herbal meds as well as OTC meds, including ibuprofen and sudafed, and a massage. After about 20 minutes I thought "hmmm... if this IS actually an inflammatory process from the virus (and I suspected it was, because I had severe spinal and nerve pain for several days when I had the bug, and it took almost another week to resolve after I felt fine otherwise)... I wonder if curcumin (from turmeric) would help? It's reputed to help with a cytokine storm, which of course is simply a serious inflammatory reaction in the lungs. Fortunately, this hasn't gone into his lungs!

So, since nothing else was helping (we even were using ice packs, the heat and pain was that bad), I gave him 900 mgs of curcumin (3 capsules) and 10 mgs of piperine (a black pepper extract that increases the absorption of the curcumin by 2000% (lab proof of that). I'm not sure how much effect we really expected... but I can say neither of us expected the heat and pain to almost totally fade within the next 2 hours!

Now, it's easy enough to say "but... he took ibuprofen! That's what did it"... except he'd been taking that pretty much every 4 hours all day, and it didn't stop the inflammation from developing or help knock it down.

It's certainly possible that the symptom was only temporary anyway, and this was purely coincidental. We DO take curcumin occasionally for inflammatory pain (old injuries) and it works for that, and I really do think it was the main "cure" last night.

So.... FWIW. I'm absolutely making sure I'll have plenty of the standardized turmeric capsules in my preps. If anyone is interested, here is where I get it:
    http://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.p...FRLoxgodTBBnyg

Unfortunately, they don't sell the piperine, which I get here: http://www.vitacost.com/Source-Natur...S|p|1742929481

These folks have a combination product... I personally wouldn't use it by choice, because I want to be able to take as much of the curcumin as I feel necessary, and while it's impossible to overdose on that herb, it IS possible to take too much piperine. But, it may be convenient enough for most that I'll post the link:
    http://www.puritan.com/pages/iq.asp?...perine&rdcnt=1

MAXIMUM dose of the piperine is 20 mgs daily, and it's highly recommended to not take more than 10 mgs. For folks taking Rx meds... DO NOT TAKE PIPERINE without discussing it with your doc, or using the 'net to check for "interactions'. IT CAN CHANGE ABSORPTION OF SOME DRUGS!!!

Summerthyme

Very interesting, I have been fighting the beginings of the flu here the last 4 days, taking my sambucol, using my nose-teapot(can't remember what this is called), etc.

I am feelign better today but strangely enough yesterday my shoulders, neck and ankles were enflamed and causing me a fair amount of discomfort. I took an anti-inflamitory pill that I use for my back and it helped reduce the pain and let me get a good nights sleep.

I am pretty sure I am over the hump now, and I gotta say the sambucol seemed to work better than any otc drug I have used, normally when I get the flu I am laid up in bed for a couple of days...

I had some time of flu over Easter weekend that lasted about 3 days -- no vomiting, etc. just sore, fever, sore throat & laryngytis -- was nauseaus, mostly so sore that I actually took out a heating pad. I stopped at CVS and found "oscill... " (not sure of spelling) but it is a homeopathic remedy for flu /colds-- I never saw before and tried it and it actually helped! I did use theraflu at night! I hope he feels better soon!

Just a sligfht drift, if you order from ST's wonderlab sigte they have THE best prices on empty gelatin caps I have seen in a lONG time. I ordered a bunch.

Default Flu here too

My first symptoms were in my joints; my knees felt swollen and difficult to bend. Very unusual as I don't have arthritis.

I took elderberry and other symptoms were light; slight fever, chills, sore throat.

Then I thought I was probably over it and stopped taking elderberry--and WOW! Terrible, flat-out , in bed type flu.

Quote Originally Posted by goatlady View Post
    Just a sligfht drift, if you order from ST's wonderlab sigte they have THE best prices on empty gelatin caps I have seen in a lONG time. I ordered a bunch.
    Yep, they sure do!! That's where I get them.

Quote Originally Posted by salalSue
    My first symptoms were in my joints; my knees felt swollen and difficult to bend. Very unusual as I don't have arthritis.

I took elderberry and other symptoms were light; slight fever, chills, sore throat.

Then I thought I was probably over it and stopped taking elderberry--and WOW! Terrible, flat-out , in bed type flu.
    OH, YEAH!! That's what I found when I had it... I was keeping it nicely at bay... until I skipped two doses about 4 days into it, because we were busy haying. The next day, I couldn't get out of bed, and probably couldn't have even if the house had caught on fire.

We don't have arthritis, either, except in a few limited joints due to old injuries (and we really don't have ACTIVE arthritis there either, thanks to the miracles of glucosamine). But that's precisely what hubby's joints felt like to me... like his hip when the orthopedic surgeon told him he would need a hip replacement within 5 years... which we solved with glucosamine and chondroitin.

I didn't get it in every joint, but my lower spine and sacroilieac was so bad I literally could barely walk... I was hobbling like a crippled old rodeo rider.

NASTY bug. I can't imagine how bad the people feel who DIE from it!

Summerthyme

Wow! Info added to my notebook.

The "Wow" refers to the neck and shoulder aches I had with Round 3 of the "Crud," (probably hog flu) several weeks ago.

It started with a sore throat, and I immediately started taking elderberry syrup and gargling with alternating solutions of Listerine (and water) and peroxide (and water), a different one every hour.

I added one drop of Oreganol [concentrated oregano oil -- Whole Foods Health Store item] to 8 oz of water (the next morning), taking it morning and evening (it kept the Crud out of my lungs last time).

On Day 2, I started getting major neck and shoulder aches. I was not doing any physical activity out of the ordinary, nor did I fall asleep on the couch.

On Day 4, the sore throat quit. The crud didn't go into my lungs, but my neck and shoulders were sore enough to warrent taking several doses of Tylenol. The usual stretching and EMU oil doses didn't work.

I was tired but the "flu" never materialized. On the other hand, the shoulder and neck aches were severe and almost drove me to seek medical attention, but they started growing less on Day 6.

Had they kept on and had there been other symptoms, I would've gone to Urgent Care. I remember having something like this as a teenager and having it described as "a cold in my back." Hardly scientific, but I hate to pay $60 if it's unnecessary, and in this case, it turned out to be.

I had no clue until I read this thread that Hog Flu might've been a "cold in my neck."

Now that makes sense, and if I encounter it again, I'll treat it differently, unless there are other symptoms that suggest a more complicated problem like a pending stroke or menningetious (sp) -- sorry!

pitbull, here's HER recipe with variations> EVERYBODY copy and save this!

Elderberry Syrup Recipe

7 cups elderberry juice
    8 ¾ cups honey
    3 cups 80 proof vodka

(if you're starting with dried berries, to get "juice", put 1 cup of berries in a quart jar and pour 2 cups of boiling water over them. If they soak it up, add a bit more. Stash in the fridge or a cool, dark place for 24-48 hours.Then strain, and squeeze every bit of liquid you can out- you can twist the berries in a muslin towel and get most of it. You'll need three "jars" of the stuff to get enough for 7 cups. )

Warm the elderberry juice to “hot, but not boiling” temp… between 150° and 180°F should be plenty. Stir in the honey and stir until it’s completely dissolved and blended.

Remove from the heat, and stir in the vodka.

Pour into sterile jars or bottles (sterilize them by boiling for 5-10 minutes in boiling water, then let drip dry upside down until filling)

Cap and LABEL. Store in a cool DARK place (or bottle in dark brown glass)

Standard dose for adults would be:

Prophylaxis (prevention) 1 tablespoon (15 mls, or 1/2 ounce) 2x a day. If there is active flu in your office or family, double that, or take more often.

Treatment: 1-2 tablespoons every 3-4 hours

Children under 12: half the adult dose

Toddlers and infants: Talk to your doctor! But, lacking that, 1 tsp at similar intervals to the adult dose should be adequate.

There is NO way to overdose on this! Put it in juice, jello, pour it over ice cream- any way you can get the kids to take it is fine.

Alternatives:
    If you do not want to use any alcohol in the syrup, use
    7 cups elderberry juice
    14 cups honey

Proceed as above, ignoring the reference to the vodka.

If you don’t want to use honey (probably best to NOT use it for babies under 1 year)

7 cups elderberry juice
    11 ½ cups sugar

Stir until the sugar is dissolved in the hot juice, then bottle.

I think it's important that we stick a quick thread on remedies here in the DO. This way folks won't have to hunt around etc. Please add to the list or elaborate where you feel led. Thanks all.

Other remedies:

D-3 2000mg. (Sagelady has mentioned how that has helped her.)

Plenty of juices (especially grape juice)

Gatorade type drinks for electrolytes

Inhalers if able to acquire.

Plenty of rest and expecially not to rush back to work.
    "Come, my people, enter your houses and shut your doors behind you. Hide yourself for a little while until the indignation is past. For behold, the Lord comes out of His place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity." Isa. 26:20
    "My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be afraid." John 14:27 Beau Soir

I know it has been recommended to drink juices especially grape. I saw Northland Pomegranate Blueberry at the store and was wondering if anyone likes this juice. It is supposedly high in antioxidants and good for you. I was thinking this might be a good juice to have on hand.

darkchocolate