Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: H1N1 experience... interesting herbal discovery and REMEDIES!

Thanks, ST. I was pretty sure it was safe, but I figure they may ask.

gardengal

This morning my 15 year old son is coming down with something. It's already in his chest and his arms and shoulders are aching. Glad I decided to make a big pot of slow cooked chicken soup yesterday. I don't have access to elderberry syrup, but I have elderberry capsules. It's Sambucus Nigra (Solaray) 450 mg. per capsule. The dosage is 1 cap x3 per day. Will this work the same as the syrup?

Many members here have talked about garlic. I wanted to mention a great way to get garlic into you if you can't bring yourself to chew on a clove. I take a block of cream cheese and grate a half BULB of garlic into it and use it as a dip, like for crackers, tortilla chips or especially homemade bread sticks. It's really really yummy. My family gobbles it up. So I'm getting ready to make some bread sticks and dip to help my son get the garlic into him.

I think that I'll add some curry and ginger to the chicken soup also. I also have my son taking about 10,000 units of D3 now.

I really would like to know if the elderberry capsules are effective. Does anyone know?

Thanks for all the contributions.

"I shall not be a victim. I shall not be a perpetrator. Above all, I shall not be a bystander."

As many have mentioned, caps contain powdered berries and powdered any herb loses medicinal potency VERY quickly. Powdered any herb shoud be the last choice of hermal medicinal help. Best to use an herb as close to its natural state as possible, so with elderberries that would be whole berries either fresh, dried or frozen as a syrup, tincture then a STRONG tea is next down in potency. There is no way for you to know how long those caps were sitting, in a warehouse or in a store before you bought them and how long have you had then sitting aroung. Can't hurt anyone, but may not produce any positive results at all.

Yeah, I can't really address the potency of the capsules with any certainty. They surely can't hurt, but so much depends on how old they are, how fresh they were when manufactured, temps they were stored at and shipped at before you got them, etc.

Please, consider buying some dried berries and making some syrup, or else buy a reputable brand of "extract" or syrup to keep on hand. Or buy some cold processed elderberry juice concentrate and use it (if it is a larger container than you can use up, pour it into ice cube trays and thaw one as needed)

Hope your son recovers quickly!

Summerthyme

Thanks for your replies. With all these stories about young people dying from this, I have become very worried Praying.

"I shall not be a victim. I shall not be a perpetrator. Above all, I shall not be a bystander."

Took son to the doc today. He sent us over to the lab to have his nose swabbed. Negative for H1N1. The lab tech told me they were just about out of swabs however. Lots of people in this area have contracted this. I'm thanking the Father that he was negative. I'm glad that I got him tested though. As some of you remember, my DH had a massive heart attack last year and all of us would have needed to get onto the anti-viral meds.

I did find some elderberry extract at the local health food store. It's called Sambucus. It's supposed to be great stuff. I bought a few bottle to have on hand, as the H1N1 is still in town, and we are constantly exposed.

Stay healthy ya'll!

Glad he tested clear, but remember- the tests aren't anywhere near 100% accuracy- in "high prevalance" flu seasons, false negatives can run close to 15%.

Sambucus should work well... your hubby, especially, may want to start a prophylactic dose immediately, and continue it through the whole flu season. My kids- who all work in jobs with LOTS of contact with others and the public- swear that taking a tablespoon of my homemade elderberry syrup morning and night keeps them healthy when everyone in their workplace is out sick with flu. I actually believe the dosage amount is "overkill", but making my own is so cheap, that we figure it's inexpensive "insurance". Probably a teaspoon at a time would be sufficient...

Summerthyme

btt
    We wanted a FIGHTER. We got a fighter in Trump. He will not take anything laying down. Trump or Bust.

Wow, there is HUGE difference between what I bought at the health food store -"Sambucus" and what I bought from Amazon-"Sambucol". The health food store brand Sambucus contains 100 mg of black elderberry extract per dose. The "Sambucol" brand contains 3.8 GRAMS! The two were very close to the same price and the "Sambucol" had twice as much in the bottle.

HUGE difference! Make sure that if you, like me, don't have access to elderberries, and need the extract, that you look closely at what you're paying for.

My son would have had to drink a whole bottle of the lessor brand to get as much as one dose of the Sambucol.

Sambucol is the patented name and ORIGINAL formula that was "invented" by the Israeli doc and tested extensively and proven to work on Influenza.