Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: H1N1 experience... interesting herbal discovery and REMEDIES!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by darkchocolate View Post
    I know it has been recommended to drink juices especially grape. I saw Northland Pomegranate Blueberry at the store and was wondering if anyone likes this juice. It is supposedly high in antioxidants and good for you. I was thinking this might be a good juice to have on hand.

darkchocolate
    I drink it every morning, it's touted to help change of life issues too!
    Contentment is NOT the fufillment of what you want but the realization of how much you already have.

Up front, I am sure sorry for anyone who caught that awful Swing Flu, so please don't think my experience below assumes everyone who caught it to be unhealthy.

This is part of what I posted on another thread, but pertains to Swine Flu...

I recommended to my adult children that they NOT get H1N1, so they didn't. Len & I didn't. His sisters did.

Who got the Swine Flu? Us, who didn't get the shot or them, who did?

You guessed correctly- the sisters! That was sad as they were terribly ill. Now, one is in the medical field, so she was given an inhaler with "live virus" (oops). The other one was administered a shot (no live virus and no chance to contract it, right?).

Another strange thing. Although I kept reading how healthy people would catch it, not a single healthy friend or family member caught it. Instead? The unhealthiest ones did.

Now, adding on here, that I had read about healthy people contracting it, but that was not our local or personal experience where I live. I am thrilled to see a thread with remedies for it! Washing your hands well and avoiding touching what you can in public places is a deterrent for many things.

Today, I went to the doctor (for sinus problems). I mentioned I had started vita. D3 to hopefully stave off the swine flu. He looked at me puzzled and said that would not
    help prevent swine flu. ????? He also advised me not to drink tea made w/ cayenne after I told him it helped my breathing more than an inhaler did. I sure wish I could be an expert at everything!!!!! Too many choices/opinions - life sure is confusing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IcedCoffee View Post
    Today, I went to the doctor (for sinus problems). I mentioned I had started vita. D3 to hopefully stave off the swine flu. He looked at me puzzled and said that would not
    help prevent swine flu. ????? He also advised me not to drink tea made w/ cayenne after I told him it helped my breathing more than an inhaler did. I sure wish I could be an expert at everything!!!!! Too many choices/opinions - life sure is confusing!!!
    I think we'd all agree here that:

1) Doctor's of medicine don't always know everything, most especially when it comes to holistic, home remedies, herbals and alternative medicine.

2) If the tea with cayenne works for you, keep at it! No reason to stop just because a doctor tells you.

3) He's right that the D3 may not prevent the Swine Flu if you come in direct contact with it, but it may certainly lessen the severity of it and/or shorten the duration if/when you DO get it.

4) It's ignorant to poo-poo and ignore all possible remedies and preventions when it comes to this flu. Yes, we all need a certain level of discernment and knowledge for safety's purposes, there's no reason to ignore the natural cures if they work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee on Earth View Post
    I think we'd all agree here that:

1) Doctor's of medicine don't always know everything, most especially when it comes to holistic, home remedies, herbals and alternative medicine.

2) If the tea with cayenne works for you, keep at it! No reason to stop just because a doctor tells you.

3) He's right that the D3 may not prevent the Swine Flu if you come in direct contact with it, but it may certainly lessen the severity of it and/or shorten the duration if/when you DO get it.

4) It's ignorant to poo-poo and ignore all possible remedies and preventions when it comes to this flu. Yes, we all need a certain level of discernment and knowledge for safety's purposes, there's no reason to ignore the natural cures if they work.

Not to mention that if his patient is taking herbals and they are working, he is losing the kickbacks he gets for prescribing brand name prescriptions. Can't be having that now. How would he ever get those free tennis and golf tickets?

Don’t buy from a faceless chain.
    Buy from a friend.

Shop Avon Online! - www.LizMetcalf.com
    Liz Metcalf
    - The Tree of Liberty's Avon Lady

My folks have sworn by Oxylife the food grade peroxide. I used it in April when starting a real bad chest cold. It helped me and allowed me to be able to breathe without taking an inhaler. You take 2 Tablespoons upon rising and then wait 15 min. to eat or drink. It is labeled Stalized Oxygen with collodal silver and aloe vera. A 16 oz bottle retails for about $9.00. You may find it in health food stores. Or else google the name. But, read your labels if you mix different products.

Summerthyme. Just the old friend I need to help with a possible herbal for the respiratory complications of this big bad flu bogie man/ crowd control vehicle/ national emergency of last resort stuff. Yea, yea, I know it's real, and am as interested now in the reports of neurological disorders showing up in survivors as any other aspect, because that might be an indicator, (or even a marker), of laboratory tinkering if not outright invention in a bio-warfare facility.

I haven't really worked this out carefully, but thought I'd float it for the experts instead of bending my pea-sized dinosaur brain. We grow wormwood as one natural wormer for the goats, and as you must know, wormwood has some interesting properties. For example, it has been shown in actual studies to be as effective as the leading drugs used to treat malaria, including the new drug resistant strains.

So let's brainstorm the pros and cons of using it for the respiratory aspects of this influenza strain, unless someone can show that idea is a non-starter for bio-chemical/ medical reasons. I'm not claiming to know.

Thanks.

Tras
    "They who have put out the people's eyes reproach them of their blindness."
    John Milton, 1642

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

Side issue, but could you share how you dose your goats? I've got goats, and I'm interested in natural dewormers. Can you use it with dogs?
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Quote Originally Posted by goatlady View Post
    pitbull, here's HER recipe with variations> EVERYBODY copy and save this!

Elderberry Syrup Recipe

7 cups elderberry juice
    8 ¾ cups honey
    3 cups 80 proof vodka

(if you're starting with dried berries, to get "juice", put 1 cup of berries in a quart jar and pour 2 cups of boiling water over them. If they soak it up, add a bit more. Stash in the fridge or a cool, dark place for 24-48 hours.Then strain, and squeeze every bit of liquid you can out- you can twist the berries in a muslin towel and get most of it. You'll need three "jars" of the stuff to get enough for 7 cups. )

Warm the elderberry juice to “hot, but not boiling” temp… between 150° and 180°F should be plenty. Stir in the honey and stir until it’s completely dissolved and blended.

Remove from the heat, and stir in the vodka.

Pour into sterile jars or bottles (sterilize them by boiling for 5-10 minutes in boiling water, then let drip dry upside down until filling)

Cap and LABEL. Store in a cool DARK place (or bottle in dark brown glass)

Standard dose for adults would be:

Prophylaxis (prevention) 1 tablespoon (15 mls, or 1/2 ounce) 2x a day. If there is active flu in your office or family, double that, or take more often.

Treatment: 1-2 tablespoons every 3-4 hours

Children under 12: half the adult dose

Toddlers and infants: Talk to your doctor! But, lacking that, 1 tsp at similar intervals to the adult dose should be adequate.

There is NO way to overdose on this! Put it in juice, jello, pour it over ice cream- any way you can get the kids to take it is fine.

Alternatives:
    If you do not want to use any alcohol in the syrup, use
    7 cups elderberry juice
    14 cups honey

Proceed as above, ignoring the reference to the vodka.

If you don’t want to use honey (probably best to NOT use it for babies under 1 year)

7 cups elderberry juice
    11 ½ cups sugar

Stir until the sugar is dissolved in the hot juice, then bottle.
    How long does this store for? The one with the vodka and the one without?TIA

Just living... Our experience is the one with the alcohol will store for *at least * three years, sealed in a cool, dark place. I probably wouldn't try to store the plain syrup, even though it should have enough sugar in it to preserve it very well, for more than 2 years.

Once opened, refrigerate the syrup without alcohol. And if you're not going to use up the version with alcohol within a week or less, refrigerate it as well.

Summerthyme