Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: H1N1 experience... interesting herbal discovery and REMEDIES!

Goatlady... I think she was referring to the syrup, but even in that case, no, you will have SOME alcohol left.

Which is one of the main reasons I posted the recipe for the syrup both ways... I know there are some folks who should NEVER take any alcohol. If someone is sensitive/concerned enough that they wouldn't- for example- take Nyquil because of it's alcohol content, they probably should use the pure sugar/honey syrup. Nyquil has 25% alcohol, while the elderberry syrup only contains 10%... but since you're going to want to be able to take it several times a day, there's no sense in risking it.

Oh, and congratulations to your hubby!! That's a difficult- and wonderful- accomplishment, and I sure wouldn't want to contribute to breaking his sobriety!

I'd go ahead and make the recipe with only sugar or honey, and bottle it carefully (be as clean as you would be if you were making wine, etc, where everything should be sanitized, and make sure your bottles are sterile before filling). Then, if you have some leftover after "flu season" ... a year from now... you can refrigerate it to extend the life even further.

As a side note, I should say that it's not going to "spoil". I'm just not certain of how long we can be sure the medicinal value holds, although to be truthful, I suspect it will actually last several years, if it's sealed.

Summerthyme

On the Benadryl... I just don't know. I personally probably wouldn't use it, because it's very *drying*. (at least, that's how it effects us). It's going to thicken the mucous secretions and make it harder to cough them out and keep the airways clear.

There is some possible evidence that histamine blockers MAY help with the cytokine storm reactions. Some brands mentioned include Tagamet, Pepcid and Zantac, as well as Bendadryl (two different types of histamine blockers, there, BTW... the first three are H2 blockers, Benadryl and other older -often sedating- antihistamines are H1 blockers)

Summerthyme

for anyone who doesn't want the alcohol, when you're ready to take it, just put the dose in a cup of hot water (don't boil it though), and the alcohol will evaporate.

Quote Originally Posted by heiwa View Post
    for anyone who doesn't want the alcohol, when you're ready to take it, just put the dose in a cup of hot water (don't boil it though), and the alcohol will evaporate.
    Don't count on it!!

It will REDUCE the amount of alcohol, but I'd never do that and give the dose to someone who *really* can't have alcohol. Even some of the... interesting... recipes from the 1950's which used brandy or other booze for flavoring, on the premise that "the alcohol all cooks off" weren't quite as "safe" as people thought. And that was with extended cooking or baking.

Summerthyme

Soy in the Diet May Protect Lung Function
    Chronic lung disease rates lower in those who consume soy, researchers say

(HealthDay News) -- Consuming lots of soy foods such as tofu and soy milk may improve lung function and lower the chances of developing chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), new research suggests.

Researchers asked 300 COPD patients in Japan and 340 age-matched healthy people about their soy intake. The results, published online in the journal Respiratory Research, indicate that consumption of soy products is associated with better lung function and reduced risk of COPD.

Long-term smoking causes 90 percent of cases of COPD, which is characterized by a progressive decline in lung function and includes chronic bronchitis and emphysema, according to background information provided in a news release from the journal's publisher.

Previous research has suggested that soy can reduce cholesterol and ease menopause symptoms. This new study is the first to link soy intake and reduced COPD risk.

"It has been suggested that flavonoids from soy foods act as an anti-inflammatory agent in the lung, and can protect against tobacco carcinogens for smokers. However, further research is needed to understand the underlying biological mechanism," study author Fumi Hirayama said in a news release.

More information

The American Academy of Family Physicians has more about COPD.

-- Robert Preidt

SOURCE: BioMed Central, news release, June 25, 2009</B>

(from an e-mail)
    John 14:6 New Living Translation (NLT)

6 Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.

The only thing that scared me about soy is GMF, or not! I heard that it is now about 60% GM!

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by louise View Post
    The only thing that scared me about soy is GMF, or not! I heard that it is now about 60% GM!
    I've heard the same thing...corn and soy are the most genetically modified crops in the U.S.

Okay...other subject. I've been researching curcumin and ran across the following at http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...cals/curcumin/

Curcumin
    Summary

• Turmeric is a spice derived from the rhizomes of Curcuma longa, a member of the ginger family. Curcuminoids are polyphenolic compounds that give turmeric its yellow color; curcumin is the principal curcuminoid in turmeric.
    • The results of phase I clinical trials in colorectal cancer patients suggest that biologically active levels of curcumin can be achieved in the gastrointestinal tract through oral curcumin supplementation. Such trials provide support for further clinical evaluation in people at risk for gastrointestinal cancers. (More Information)
    • Until the safety and efficacy of curcumin in individuals with cystic fibrosis has been evaluated in clinical trials, the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation does not recommend the use of curcumin as a therapy for cystic fibrosis. (More Information)
    • Although a few preliminary trials suggest that curcumin may have anti-inflammatory activity in humans, larger randomized controlled trials are needed to determine whether oral curcumin supplementation is effective in the treatment of inflammatory diseases. (More Information)
    • As a result of promising findings in animal models of Alzheimer’s disease, clinical trials of curcumin supplementation in patients with early Alzheimer’s disease are under way. (More Information)
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

I heard this guy on Rense, and what he had to say about how important vitamin D is towards the swine flu, you would run to the drugstore to get that D.
    http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/cannellBiography.shtml

I want to walk around with a mask on until this flu season is over! My DD starts school in a few weeks and I dread what she will bring home. I am going to make sure I have some of these recommendations on hand just in case.
    Mom of All Trades... Patent Pending

"Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Benjamin Franklin pen name Richard Saunders

Default Pill Identification Tool

John 14:6 New Living Translation (NLT)

6 Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.