Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: H1N1 experience... interesting herbal discovery and REMEDIES!

DON'T BOIL IT!

Seriously... it's all too likely to ruin the medicinal value. That's why I say in my syrup recipe to just barely heat the berries as needed to get them to juice out.

As far as "new lids"... as long as everything is scrupulously clean, and they'll seal/close the containers "airtight", no it's not necessary.
    Summerthyme

Yikes. I brought it to a boil and then simmered. Damn. I have 5 kids, I don't want to take a chance with their health. I haven't mixed it with the vodka and honey yet. I'm thinking it was all free, just a lot of labor...... probably throw it out???

It was so easy with the dried berries. How did I mess up so much with the fresh? Did I miss seeing the exact step to get the juice out the fresh berries? What is the best way to extract the fresh berries?

I'm sorry about that! Truthfully, I just mash up the fresh berries with a TINY bit of water in a saucepan and BARELY heat them. Then dump them in a linen type kitchen towel and twist the ends in opposite directions to squeeze all the juice from them. An herb press works wonderfully- but my son broke mine last fall making cider... sigh. Or you can improvise with a jelly bag and some bricks on a rack in a bowl.

I wouldn't toss it out, but I wouldn't use it for THIS flu. If you make syrup from it (especially with the vodka for preservative) it will store for 3 years at least, and you could use it as a preventative for "normal" flu seasons and see how it works. But you wouldn't be risking your lives, as you might be with this strain (and Lord help us if it does combine with H5N1 as may be possible, with some confirmed co-infections going on now)

Summerthyme

Thanks, Summerthyme for teaching me, and I'm sure others about all this! I think I will go ahead and label this batch "allergies." Lots of people claim it helps with that and if it does, great. If not it won't hurt anyone.

I know you've answered thousands of questions, but the silliest questions pop up when your actually doing it for the first time,and it is your family's health at stake. What a shame so much knowledge has been lost instead of handed down.

Blessings to you and yours for sharing.

Qestions please for Summerthyme, Goatlady or anyone who is in the know.

As I have 3 precious grandbabies under the age of 6, one pregnant DD and another trying to get that way (and at 35 she's not waiting for this flu to go away), I am very interested in all the alternative treatments.

Elderberry we're working on. No probs there.

Alcohol isn't acceptable in one household and not best in the other.

So, elecampane can be used as a tea. Okay. Good.

Japanese Knotweed can't be used as a tea. Will the essential components dissolve in something besides alcohol?

What about lomotium root? Any way to use it short of alcohol based tincture?

Thanks.
    LC

Hi, LC... I have no idea about the Lomatium root.. you might want to PM Tom McDowell over at TB2k and ask him.

Japanese Knotweed MIGHT be able to be used as a glycerite. It's soluable in ETOH and DMS0 (much lower in DMSO than ETOH, but still much better than H20). So I suspect it would be at least "usefully" soluable in glycerin. However, making glycerites is a giant PITA compared to tinctures... it requires a fairly long, slow heating rather than a cold process. The amount of alcohol for JK tincture to be useful is MINISCULE- 50 mgs resveratrol dissolves in 1 ml alcohol. I've got to go back to read my notes on recommended dosages, but I've seen 50 mgs resveratrol tablets/capsules for sale... so I'm guessing you're talking (adult doses- kids would be less) 1/2 tsp or even less per dose.

You CAN get resveratrol extract tablets or capsules... they use ETOH to extract it, but then evaporate it away, leaving only the resveratrol itself. That would likely be the best option for a lot of folks. You could almost certainly crush the tablets, or open capsules and add it to applesauce, etc, for kids too small to swallow pills.

Hope that helps!

Summerthyme

Hi all, I have a question regarding the elderberry tincture. I made the tincture about 3 years ago when the H5N1 flu started. It's been sitting on the top shelf of my pantry since I made it. It is dark and cool in there. My question is if it's still good to use. I do have dried elderberry's left so I could make some more if I needed to throw this out. I made the tincture with 80 proof vodka and there's no sugar or anything else in it, just elderberries and vodka.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Summerthyme. I'll probably PM Tom when I catch my breath. Right now I'm purple and blue from elderberries and very tired. Will probably purchase some reservitol tabs. SIL, daddy to the darlings, is a Baptist preacher. Absolutely no alcohol in the house. Doesn't want to mess up the witness. I haven't check the cabinet for Nyquil. I may the next time I'm there. lol

Thanks again.
    LC

jschlaty- tinctures are good for several years, especially stored cool and dark. It should be fine.

Summerthyme

Thanks Summerthyme, now I have another question if you don't mind.

I want to start giving my kids the elderberry tincture now since we will be starting up our church activities this week. My youngest son gets asthma/bronchitis after every respiratory infection so I want to do everything possible so he doesn't get it. We are already doing vit. C and D, along with colloidal silver and olive leaf every couple of days. How much of the tincture should I be giving them each day. They both weigh approximately 55 pds.

Again, thank you so much for all the information you provide!

Jschlaty