Start with 1 qt. (4 cups) fresh tomatoes with skins removed (or canned if you don't have fresh)
heat on stovetop, low heat, add chopped onion, chopped garlic cloves, cracked pepper and salt to your taste.
After approx. 30 minutes, grind into a sauce with an immersion blender.
If you don't have an immersion blender, you can blend in a blender or food processor, just be sure to put a folder cloth over the top and hold down when you blend, or you will spray hot tomatoes all over your kitchen.
add 1/4 cup of red cider vinegar, 3/4 cup of molasses, sorghum or honey, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 2 teaspoons of dry mustard, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, liquid smoke flavoring to taste, (at least 1 teaspoon), 1 1/2 tablespoons of Paprika, hot sauce to your liking and I also add grated horseradish from my garden. simmer for 1/2 hour - check taste and add salt/heat/sugar/etc. accordingly
You are free to adjust or delete any ingredients to your taste, but will need to have the tomatoes, at least some vinegar and some of the sugar to make a bbq sauce.
I hope that someone will enjoy the difference over the bottled sauces which have a main ingredient of water and high fructose corn syrup.