Thread: canning chickens

Default canning chickens

We'll be doing in some chooks before the fair (this coming week-end- have to be there Wed night/Thurs am) and I'm planning to stuff some into jars and crank up the pressure.

Had my lid checked, got the #'s time and pressure from the extension office,

This is my question...

The articles I'm finding on-line regarding raw pack say to chill it twelve hours before canning.

WHY?

Do I really need to stuff my fridge with raw chickens overnight to can them?

I'm hoping to get this done as quickly as possible (yeah, right).

Why can't I just bleed them out, chop them up, and can them?

Thank-you for any help.

I'm doing nine cornish and cornish cross and three aruacanas.
    I plan to cut the main pieces of meat off then throw the rest into a stockpot, then pull that meat and throw it in with chopped veggies to can for chx soup, and to can the broth.

Is this workable?

The aruacanas I'll can with mexi-seasonings to use for enchiladas.

I haven't canned chicken before, but I've processed chicken and I've canned other stuff.

Bless up,
    Natty

Default Canning Chicken

I've only ever canned boneless, skinless breasts from the grocer (when on sale). I too have done it raw pack and it's delicious. Can't hardly keep my teen daughters out of it. They are constantly stealing a jar and making pasta, quesadillas, etc. Caught them putting it in with a can of commercial clam chowder - had to put a stop to that. Love the convenience and the taste. Don't know why you would have to refrigerate prior to canning it raw though. Sorry not more help. Just wanted to say canning your own meats is rewarding and delicious.

I would soak them in cold salt water before canning, because the salt pulls excess blood from the food, plus the salt acts as an antibiotic somewhat. It helps to kill germs. I do this with all meat that I process from home whether I'm planning to freeze, can, or cook and eat.

Letting the birds set in the fridge for a day or two helps them to relax and tenderize. Even a young bird can be on the tough side if processed in anyway..baking, frying, canning. So, it does help to chill them for a while. Still though, before you do...soak them for an hour or two in cold salt water.

when you butcher the birds get adgitated and get adrenaline surges that cause the muscles to tense up. If you have to chase the bird don't butcher it, it will be too tough and sometimes tastes a little strong. Leave them closed up in the hen house and go in and get them one at a time to keep them calm.

And I agree with Ms American about the salt soak. I also soak all my butchering in salt water for a couple hours. Drawing the blood that way makes it less gamey tasting.

Oh man- I caught this too late-

BUT I will use the salt soak in the future- it makes perfect sense.

Chilling a day before cutting them up made a HUGE difference.

I was all Top Chef challenge ready, slicing off legs and thighs and slicking the breasts off the bone, tossing the remnants into the stock pot.

It was nuts.
    FUN nuts.

And yes, chilling a day made it SO MUCH easier.

Thank-you.

Bless up.
    Love,
    Natty

Quote Originally Posted by joyce1954 View Post
    when you butcher the birds get adgitated and get adrenaline surges that cause the muscles to tense up. If you have to chase the bird don't butcher it, it will be too tough and sometimes tastes a little strong. Leave them closed up in the hen house and go in and get them one at a time to keep them calm.

And I agree with Ms American about the salt soak. I also soak all my butchering in salt water for a couple hours. Drawing the blood that way makes it less gamey tasting.
    Yep.

We pulled them from the chicken house in the am and caged them.
    No chasing.

Then the curious Georges that wandered up were bonus bar-b-Q.
    We started out to do four and ended up doing six the first day.

I had to pig bucket a few bloody parts- not many- but maybe the salt soak will cure that?

Thank-you so much.

I am so confident in the advice I get here.
    It's fabulous.

Bless up.
    Love,
    Natty