Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The BEST corn casserole recipe!

Default The BEST corn casserole recipe!

I just made this tonight, with spare ribs and coleslaw. It was amazing! I got it off of a cooking/recipe website -- so I take no credit for it. But I just had to share. There was plenty of leftovers (it's just the two of us), and I imagine this would freeze quite nicely as well.

Southern-Style Corn Casserole

• 2 whole Eggs, whisked
    • 1 cup Sour Cream
    • 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
    • 2 Tablespoons Vegetable (or Canola) Oil
    • ½ stick Butter or Margarine (melted)
    • 2 cans 15 Oz Sweet Whole Kernal Corn, Undrained
    • ⅔ cups All-purpose Flour
    • ½ cups Yellow Corn Meal
    • 3 Tablespoons Sugar
    • 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
    • ¼ teaspoons Salt
    • ¼ teaspoons Extra Salt And Pepper, to tste
    • ½ teaspoon Paprika or Cajun Spice (optional)

1. Mix the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients in separate bowls, and then combine them. Add fresh cracked pepper and more salt to taste.

2. Pour into a greased baking casserole dish (spray it with Pam). Top with small dabs of butter.

3. Bake at 350 degrees F (180 C) for about 1 hour, or until golden brown on top and set in the middle (give it a shake - it shouldn’t jiggle too much in the middle when it’s ready). Be sure to stir it thoroughly half-way through. Serve hot.

This looks wonderful!
    Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27

My mother makes a much simpler version of this that is also quite good.

Take crackers or bread crumbs and mix with some butter or oil. Just enough to coat the bottom of a pyrex or oven safe dish.

Mix about
    1 can of corn, her recipe uses creamed corn but we almost never find that here
    2 beaten eggs
    1 cup of milk (apx) I usually mix eggs and milk together
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 pepper (optional)

Pour corn filling over cracker or crumb base and set bowl in a larger pan of water. Cook for about an hour at a low (325/140) degree heat for about an hour or until you can stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean.

This is very good, my DH does not care for it, he likes his custards sweet, but I love this one and most of my dinner guests do to. I've tried adding garlic and other things, but overall I like this one simple. The only change I make some times is to add a topping of cheddar cheese.

I have seen versions of this in old cook books using fresh corn from the garden, I'll bet it is even better that way.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by Disastercat View Post
    My mother makes a much simpler version of this that is also quite good.

Take crackers or bread crumbs and mix with some butter or oil. Just enough to coat the bottom of a pyrex or oven safe dish.

Mix about
    1 can of corn, her recipe uses creamed corn but we almost never find that here
    2 beaten eggs
    1 cup of milk (apx) I usually mix eggs and milk together
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 pepper (optional)

Pour corn filling over cracker or crumb base and set bowl in a larger pan of water. Cook for about an hour at a low (325/140) degree heat for about an hour or until you can stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean.

This is very good, my DH does not care for it, he likes his custards sweet, but I love this one and most of my dinner guests do to. I've tried adding garlic and other things, but overall I like this one simple. The only change I make some times is to add a topping of cheddar cheese.

I have seen versions of this in old cook books using fresh corn from the garden, I'll bet it is even better that way.
    That sounds lovely, too! I'll have to try it. My recipe above comes out like a thick, mushy cornbread consistency.

This sounds more like a custard consistency, from what you're saying. Almost like a fancy creamed corn? Am I right?

Smile

Sounds great! I'm definately going to try that. Thanks

I was just looking for something good to make with dinner tonight so thank you! But I think with just the two of us, I will try cutting this one in half so it doesn't make quite so much. Plus I only have about a half cup of heavy cream left lol. Can't wait to try it.

She

Yes, my mother's version (probably via my grandmother) comes out a custard, and is also very nice left over and reheated the next day (in a microwave). So I usually make the full amount (based on about an 8 oz can of corn) and eat it for lunch or as a side dish again in a day or two.

You can make it with skim milk, as well as whole milk, cream or evaporated milk. I also forgot that its good to add a teaspon of melted butter but you don't have too. There is some butter flavor in the bread crumbs already.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by SheWoff View Post
    I was just looking for something good to make with dinner tonight so thank you! But I think with just the two of us, I will try cutting this one in half so it doesn't make quite so much. Plus I only have about a half cup of heavy cream left lol. Can't wait to try it.

She
    I'd love to know how it turns out for you, and if you loved it as much as I did.

That sounds really good!

Here's another one that's very easy and yummy:

Brookfield Hotel Corn

2 10 oz pkgs frozen corn
    1 stick butter
    8 oz cream cheese
    3 t sugar
    6 t water
    s&p

Mix together and slow cook in crockpot for 4 hours.

Can also add a Tbsp or so of diced green and/or red pepper or jalapeno peppers if you like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee on Earth View Post
    I'd love to know how it turns out for you, and if you loved it as much as I did.
    Oh man was that ever good!!!! It came out more like a cornbread than it did something like a scalloped corn type dish. I loved it. Ate half of it lol. I did cut the recipe in half and it made a medium sized casserole dish full. If I had made the whole thing it would have made two of them! Sure was good though...thanks for posting that. I copied it and put it in my kitchen binder.

She