Thread: Dehydrating poultry

Default Dehydrating poultry

do not use duck or goose, because the meat is to fatty an greasy. so it won't keep well. start with dryed fresh chicken or turkey. steam or simmer until done. and meat is tender. allow to cool.
    then remove any skin or fat.

[save fat and skin boil it up with what ever water or broth is left in the pan, can it up. do not let this go to waste, great for soups.]

cut meat into 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch squares. and spread in a thin layer over the dehydrator trays . Dry for 4 hours at 145 degrees, then at 130 until the cubes are hard and dry. and dehydrated through out .[like a rock , ]

to use dried poultry cubes, pour one cup of boiling water over 1 cup of cups in a saucepan. cook over low heat until tender, about 45 to 50 minutes.

this is great forfast spreads for sandwiches, soups, many dishes.
    Last edited by momof23goats; 09-07-2009 at 10:33 PM.
    momof23goats

Thank you Mom. I was just thinking about you today and wondered where you were as I hadn't noticed any posts from you for a while.

Glad to see all is well. I LOVE Duck ala Orange. The first time I ever had that and caviar is on my honeymoon with my beloved.

It is too much anymore to make just for me so now you have helped me to be able to safely store some away for future adventures in cooking!

Thank you again.
    'A person with an experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument,'" writes von Campe

Hello Emily, I have been knee deep in canning and drying. Duck is good, I love it fix that way, but it is not good to dry, to fatty.
    I was thinking of you as well, today. nut the chicken and turkey is wonderful dried .
    momof23goats

Quote Originally Posted by momof23goats View Post
    Hello Emily, I have been knee deep in canning and drying. Duck is good, I love it fix that way, but it is not good to dry, to fatty.
    I was thinking of you as well, today. nut the chicken and turkey is wonderful dried .
    Can Duck be canned okay? I don't have a freezer anymore. The refrigerator died and with it just being me, I didn't replace it but just bought a small dorm room refrigerator - just enough to keep eggs, mayo, and a meal and some water cold.

So before TSHTF - now that you have me thinking of the Duck - is it possible to can it into pint jars for individual servings?
    'A person with an experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument,'" writes von Campe

Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    Can Duck be canned okay? I don't have a freezer anymore. The refrigerator died and with it just being me, I didn't replace it but just bought a small dorm room refrigerator - just enough to keep eggs, mayo, and a meal and some water cold.

So before TSHTF - now that you have me thinking of the Duck - is it possible to can it into pint jars for individual servings?
    yes you can can it in pint jars.
    just cut up, into pieces,for raw pack, cover with water , leaving an inch from the top of the jar.
    make sure your jars are dry on the top, put on lid and rings, process for 75 minutes, at 10 pound pressure.

you can bake it first, then use the pan drippings, plus water to cover the meat in the jar, then process as above, for same amount of time.
    75 minutes at 10 pound pressure.
    momof23goats

bump. chickens been on sale and need to learn to dehy. MM

Mom, how long will the chicken keep once it is dry? I can put it into jars and vacuum pack it. I was just curious about an estimate.

Avandris, I'm not sure about the shelf life, but I've had some chicken and turkey for 2 years and it's still as good as the day I made it. I didn't even vacuum seal it, just stored it in glass jars on the shelf.

I did one thing different, though, I lightly salted mine before drying. I have a friend who is a microbiologist and he suggested doing that, just to be on the safe side.
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

Brining beforehand might accomplish the same thing, with a more consistent/thorough salt saturation. (1/4 cup kosher salt to a quarter of water, soak in brine for 4-6 hours then rinse off and cook as usual. If using "regular" salt it'd be less, but I'm sure the info's out there somewhere.)

Thank you to both of you. Salting it in whatever form would be a good way to help preserve the meat in addition to drying it. Also it is good to know that it will be fine for a couple of years. That is what I was hoping for.