Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smothered Chicken

Default Smothered Chicken

Found this and had to share it. It's a great dish, and a good way to use up some leftover chicken.

The first time I made it, I had baked two chickens in my smoker (yes, baked in a smoker... slow cooked them without actually applying any woodsmoke, but they picked up some residual flavor), and the little added smoke was perfect.

This recipe actually came from Liz Cavalier, aka Lizbeth on "Swamp People"

Gator Queen Liz’s Smothered Chicken
    (Liz Cavalier, from Swamp People)
    • 2 cups rice
    • 1 whole fryer chicken
    • 3 small diced onions
    • 1 Small bell pepper
    • 1 tbsp Tony Cachere’s creole seasoning
    • 2 tbsp mustard
    • 2 tbsp Cajun Power Garlic Sauce
    • 1 Tsp Worcestershire sauce
    • 6 tbsp Butter

DIRECTIONS
    First cut up chicken and mix with Tony's, mustard, garlic sauce, and Worcestershire sauce in a large bowl.
    Then place onions and bell peppers in pot with country crock butter and cook down until onions and bell peppers are browned.
    Next, add entire bowl of chicken and mix to pot and brown chicken with onions for 5 to 15 minutes or until chicken is browned.
    Finally, add water to pot until chicken is covered, and let cook until water is brown down into a gravy.
    Cook rice as normal and serve chicken over rice.

My version went something like this:
    1 whole cooked chicken, pulled apart into bite sized pieces
    1 large onion, diced
    1 large bell pepper, diced
    1 tbsp Tony Cachere's seasoning
    2 large cloves garlic, minced
    8 tbsp butter (half stick)
    8 tbsp flour
    16 oz chicken stock
    2 cups rice (uncooked)

In pot or large dutch oven, saute onion and pepper until just soft. Remove and set aside. Add butter to pan and melt. Add flour and combine to make a very light roux.
    Add garlic and mix.
    Add chicken stock and mix thoroughly to get rid of any roux clumps. Get this smooth and creamy, since this is your sauce.
    Add chicken and simmer while rice is cooking.

Serve over the rice and enjoy.

PS: This is another one of those under $10.00 dishes that will feed several
    "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

This sounds like something we would like but not the creole/cajun spices ... someway to make it more Swedish? lol! Going to have to play around with this recipe.

Don't know a lot about Swedish cuisine... so can't help you much.
    Maybe drop the Tony's and add sour cream? Maybe some sliced 'shrooms....
    "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

If you drop the spices and use milk in the gravy, it's called creamed chicken - YUMMY!

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaGal View Post
    If you drop the spices and use milk in the gravy, it's called creamed chicken - YUMMY!
    yep, exactly what I was thinking. I haven't made fricasse for a while and I was thinking this would be tasty with a white gravy vs the cajun spices. I like all the veges in it tho ... going to play around with this recipe.

I guess I was just thinking out loud. It wasn't swedish "cuisine" so much as just lessening up on the hot spicey cajun/creole spices. lol

I love creole cooking but it sure doesn't love me. Last time I had it, I had heartburn for 3 days. The recipe sounds good though. But I will have to stick with the creamed chicken over rice.

Ya know, I just HATE hot stuff, but I LOVE Tony Chachere's, and I never would have learned about it if I hadn't been invited to dinner at a friend's house who sprinkled the fish with it before she cooked it. Wow, the taste was so distinctively yummy, I instantly asked her what it was.

I've been using it ever since..... in moderation, of course. It's really not that hot, but FULL of flavor.

I'll bet just a tablespoon in this wouldn't be that hot, but then, one could experiment with less and see how it goes....

Nothing against Swedish -- I don't know anything about it either, LOL...

Just defending tony Chachere. Try it, you'll like it...

Quote Originally Posted by A Simple Pine Box View Post
    This sounds like something we would like but not the creole/cajun spices ... someway to make it more Swedish? lol! Going to have to play around with this recipe.
    hehehehehe, ok we'd like the creole spices but I totally get what your saying. Around these parts Fazolli's spaghetti is considered very hot and spicy, and it's not. But folks here really do love their pickled herring and ludafisk (sp?) Yah you betcha.

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaGal View Post
    I love creole cooking but it sure doesn't love me. Last time I had it, I had heartburn for 3 days. The recipe sounds good though. But I will have to stick with the creamed chicken over rice.
    I can't do the creamed part, I'd be in the hospital and within hours of eating it, and I'm not even lactose intolerant, but for some reason creamed dishes and my disgestive track do NOT get along!

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

pheeeeewwwww, I at first thought a turkey had possibly sat on the poor girl :>)
    I Am That I Am