Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bean Soup Recipes

Default Bean Soup Recipes

Does anyone have any good bean soup recipes? Mine always taste find of bland.
    The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever. Isaiah 40:8

Default ahhhh bean soup!

I have some bags of the 7-bean soup mix in my preps... tried cooking a big tasty pot last fall, figured I needed the experience & didn't want to wait until a crisis situation to experience bean soup.

I followed the package directions... seemed like it needed something. So again since I was cooking from preps I took out a can of Treet (aka Spam) and cubed it, fried it up & added it to the soup. I thought it would give it a "hammy" taste to compliment the beans.

We ate from that big pot for almost 2 days (I just HATE to waste food) and OMG talk about awful- yes this included "prep food digestive issues" that you may have read about. We added crackers, cheeze, then LOTS of cheeze- by my 6th serving I was eating mostly crackers & cheeze, lol.

Next time I make bean soup I will NOT be adding Spam/Treet, it is not a good texture to have floating around in a liquid and just tasted rubbery/spongy. Also the soup I made had a most unappetizing gray cast to it- was I ingesting dishwater?

Someone suggested adding a can or two of chopped/diced tomatoes, and hot sauce- helps with color & taste. Spices & seasonings are a must.

So yes I'm with Trinity- would love to hear some GOOD bean soup recipes because I've already tried the BAD bean soup!
    They will fight against you but will not overcome you,
    for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the Lord. Jer 1:19

Assume nothing, question everything.
    -James Patterson

There's no excuse not to have a good attitude.
    Unless you're out of booze and pills, of course.
    -George Ure

I use the 7 bean soup mix....but it comes with a packet of Cajun seasoning mix. Also add Onion...almost everything gets onion...lol. Then I use Keilbasa for the meat. Yummy. Much better than the plainer one.

CG

Default any soups

I have recently discovered the Fire Roasted diced tomatoes. Adds a super boost to any soup or dish. Would be great in bean soups. I've been buying them in cases, mainly because they are almost always out at HEB. I buy their brand but the other major brands have them too. Great smokey flavor.
    Can't wait for Cold weather to make my new Salado soup. Tried to copy it from last years Salado Christmas Stroll. A group of ladies were selling it by the cup. She rattled off the list of ingre. and I mentally tried to note it. Almost have it perfected. The base is "organic" chicken broth, I made my own$$. Then browned gound meat. The rest is diced veggies and fresh basil, thyme, and oregano. I added a hint of rosemary and bay leaf in a pouch. The secret is the chicken broth, it does not overwhelm the beef . Goooooood!

DH makes a to die for bean soup...

15bean soup mix, chunked up chicken, liquid smoke, kielbasa/smoked sausage, beef bouillon....nummy. Onion, garlic paste (and more onion)...

Not sure what else is in there (he has not made it in a coon's age, iykwim), but it is oh-so-good...

Also, if you have leftover ham, that's good. Esp with the skin. Bacon? And a weeeeeeee bit of bacon grease would probably not go amiss.

Now, for general bean soup recipes, I like a good navy(as opposed to great northerns, I think that the navy beans end up with a more buttery texture) bean and ham soup. With cornbread or biscuits. Also split pea soup (with ham bones/chunks)...I like bean soup.

Rachel

If I have a ham bone, I use that to flavor the soup stock. Or "ham hocks" or a smoked ham shank. But I don't always have one of those, you know? In that instance I use bullion cubes, usually chicken. I add diced onion and a bay leaf. Nearer the end of cooking I add diced carrots and celery - I don't like them cooked to mush. If I have ham, I cube that up and put it in, or sometimes I fry up some bacon, dice it, and add that (bacon is good in lentil soup.) Add pepper to taste, even a little cayenne sometimes. Usually don't need to add salt if I've used bullion cubes. This is how my grandma made her bean soup.

I'm going to write down all of these options (Minus the Spam ). I've been buying a lot of dry beans, so I need to have a variety of ways to cook them.

What if there is no fresh meat is to be had? Only canned? Did the pioneers just rely on spices? I know there is a difference between just eating to survive and actually enjoying what you are eating. I guess I want both if at all possible.
    The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever. Isaiah 40:8

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    I'm going to write down all of these options (Minus the Spam ). I've been buying a lot of dry beans, so I need to have a variety of ways to cook them.

What if there is no fresh meat is to be had? Only canned? Did the pioneers just rely on spices? I know there is a difference between just eating to survive and actually enjoying what you are eating. I guess I want both if at all possible.
    Absolutely... this question led to my experiemnt last fall. Good practice to cook just from preps every once in a while- I sure learned some things!

Hunybee said the canned hams work well with the bean soup, I might have to try that next time. I don't think I have any canned ham in my preps, and somehow canned tuna sounds waaaaay to scary to try in bean soup, lol.

[thread drift]
    You may want to look into meat preservation techniques, for when there is only wild game to be had... salting, smoking & drying all used by pioneers. These are VERY good questions to be asking, Trinity! Thumbs up for you girl
    They will fight against you but will not overcome you,
    for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the Lord. Jer 1:19

Assume nothing, question everything.
    -James Patterson

There's no excuse not to have a good attitude.
    Unless you're out of booze and pills, of course.
    -George Ure

Quote Originally Posted by Sugaree View Post
    Absolutely... this question led to my experiemnt last fall. Good practice to cook just from preps every once in a while- I sure learned some things!

Hunybee said the canned hams work well with the bean soup, I might have to try that next time. I don't think I have any canned ham in my preps, and somehow canned tuna sounds waaaaay to scary to try in bean soup, lol.

[thread drift]
    You may want to look into meat preservation techniques, for when there is only wild game to be had... salting, smoking & drying all used by pioneers. These are VERY good questions to be asking, Trinity! Thumbs up for you girl
    Thank you. The problem that I have with meat is that the more I see of it raw or in its natural form before it is cooked, the less I want to eat it. I don't have any moral or ethical issues with eating meat, I just don't like to look at it raw. But that is a problem since I have a husband and children who love their meat--I could do without it 90% of the time. Since I can't raise animals where I live, I need to have some stored up that doesn't require refrigeration (just in case). I have canned tuna, chicken, spam, corned beef hash, etc.

Keep some bullion cubes in the preps - adds a little meaty flavor when there's no meat to be had! They can also flavor rice for variety.