Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bean Soup Recipes

Here is another thread from a while ago where we all contributed our soup recipes and many of them were bean soup.
    http://www.thetreeofliberty.com/vb/s...ad.php?t=22225
    'A person with an experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument,'" writes von Campe

as close as you can get to Atlanta and still have chickens

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    It sounds good to me.
    dinner's at 6:00. i'll save you a place at the table.
    Respect God. Love your family. What else is there?

Quote Originally Posted by Sugaree View Post
    I have some bags of the 7-bean soup mix in my preps... tried cooking a big tasty pot last fall, figured I needed the experience & didn't want to wait until a crisis situation to experience bean soup.

I followed the package directions... seemed like it needed something. So again since I was cooking from preps I took out a can of Treet (aka Spam) and cubed it, fried it up & added it to the soup. I thought it would give it a "hammy" taste to compliment the beans.

We ate from that big pot for almost 2 days (I just HATE to waste food) and OMG talk about awful- yes this included "prep food digestive issues" that you may have read about. We added crackers, cheeze, then LOTS of cheeze- by my 6th serving I was eating mostly crackers & cheeze, lol.

Next time I make bean soup I will NOT be adding Spam/Treet, it is not a good texture to have floating around in a liquid and just tasted rubbery/spongy. Also the soup I made had a most unappetizing gray cast to it- was I ingesting dishwater?

Someone suggested adding a can or two of chopped/diced tomatoes, and hot sauce- helps with color & taste. Spices & seasonings are a must.

So yes I'm with Trinity- would love to hear some GOOD bean soup recipes because I've already tried the BAD bean soup!
    Yeah, bean soup or any soup with Spam STINKS! Ive been down that road. Im reviving this thread, because I am making bean soup today.
    John 3:3, "Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/how_to_be_saved.html

My New Blog: Galatians 4

John 3:3, "Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/how_to_be_saved.html

My New Blog: Galatians 4

I think the one of the most important components to a non-bland, fantastic bean soup is kosher salt and different types of pepper.

Taste your soup often to make sure it's seasoned well. I stock up on several types of pepper (whole black peppercorns store forever), pickling salt, iodized and non-iodized table salt, assorted sea salts, and plenty of kosher salt. (Also, salt will make an excellent barter item later on.)

I buy an extra jar of chicken, beef and ham soup base as often as possible. That'll also make an otherwise bland tasting soup better.
    Careful...the older I get, the less "life sentence" is a deterrent.

I don't eat much meat either and just finished the last bowl of my latest batch of veggie bean soup. I don't use a recipe so I'll try to remember...

Saute a couple tablespoons of diced onion, a clove of minced garlic, about 1/2 C each carrots, mushrooms, sweet potato and potato and a handful of chopped kale/spinach/collards etc. When the vegetables begin to soften and onion are translucent add water...maybe 6 cups or so. Add italian seasoning, basil, salt, pepper to taste. Bring to simmer and let cook until veggies are done. Add a can of black eyed peas (drained and rinsed) and enough pasta to make a thick stew. Cook until pasta is done.

If you want to add meat to the soup, sausage is a good addition.

BTW. A can of chunk ham (those little, $1 cans) works very well to flavor a pot of soup. Cook a couple cups of lentils, add some sauteed onion and carrot and a can of ham make a pretty acceptable pot of soup.
    Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27

I use the 15 bean soup that is Kroger brand I believe is 2.19 a bag. You can get either ham or cajun flavor. Honestly the cajun is SO much better for flavor, but not hot to me. I always take them out of the bags and place the beans in jars, so each jar takes about 1.3 bags to fill her.

Then I add a whole onion, 14 oz of diced tom, ham or kolbasi and let it cook on low for 4 hours. I never remember to soak the night before, so I do the quick boil instructions on the bag. If we are running low on the second night, I add in cooked rice to it. Tonight is the second night of it here, but we made that amish bread yesterday, so that has been on the plate too .

Honestly my children will not touch any type of bean, except green beans lol. This way, I can add the beans in and when times get tough, then pour it over rice.

The Goya Jamon (ham) seasoning is excellent. I use it with beans, and greens too.

Smile Ham & Beans

Here is something that i use, in the soup section of the local stores i find ham flavor in a jar. If I don't have a ham bone or ham hocks i use this flavoring. also try chopping up some onion & carrot a & celery. The main thing is simmer your beans slowly . add some skillet cornbread and you have a meal fit for a King.

Spinach, Onion or Leek and Butter Bean Soup
    My husband is not a soup eater...but he absolutely LOVES this so here goes. I have made it several times now and freeze the leftovers. I have passed it on to all my family and friends. I consider most of you friends:

In a BIG heavy pot:

4 tablespoons of good olive oil
    2 minced cloves of garlic
    4 big leeks or 2 big sweet onion chopped fine
    2 Bay leaves
    1 Tablespoon Oregano
    1 Tablespoon ground Cumin
    lightly salt and pepper at this point and cook this mixture about 5 minutes with the lid on the pot.
    Now you should add two big cans of Goya Butter Beans (the big white ones) that you have rinsed off.
    Add One large can of Italian diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano (Hunts) Add One and a half quarts of Beef or Chicken Broth
    Now add one whole pound of freshly washed spinach or swiss chard tops mix in until wilted down.
    Now re-taste to add any additional seasonings that you like.

I have a mixture of my own Taco Seasoning that I have made up in big bottles and shared with people. I usually add about a teaspoon of this at this point.

The soup is done. It is very filling and as you can see, it is inexpensive to make and with the beans it give you plenty of protein and it is really, really yummy.

There is a product on the market that is very handy to have that I get in a one pint container. It is from Nestle Food Service and I get it at Costco.

It has NO MSG The name is MINOR'S It comes in Chicken and Beef base instead of bullion. Resteraunts use it to make their soups. I keep these in the fridge and you only need a teaspoon or two in a huge pot of soup.