Thread: Tomato bread pudding, pie, and other recipes

Default Tomato bread pudding, pie, and other recipes

Savory Tomato Bread Pudding

tomatoes (about 2 Lb)—peeled, cored and finely chopped or pureed (seed if desired)
    1/2 t salt
    1/2 t sugar
    Pepper
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 c milk
    ¼ loaf French bread, cubed (about 4 cups) (any “crusty” bread works well)
    4 T butter, melted
    1/4 c grated cheese (parmesan, swiss, cheddar, whatever your family likes)
    preheat to 400°. Grease a shallow dish.
    Place the bread cubes in the prepared dish and pour in the melted butter to coat. Top with the tomatoes and gently mix to distribute. Mix eggs, milk, and salt and pepper
    Bake until crusty and golden brown, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake for 10 minutes more. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.

Tomato Frycakes
    1 quart diced tomatoes, reserve juice (or use fresh tomatoes and let them sit a while after you chop to let the juice flow)
    1/4 large onion, chopped
    30 crackers, crushed (we like to use Italian bread crumbs)
    1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Place the tomatoes, onion and crackers into a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper, and mix thoroughly. Cover, and let stand for about 15 minutes. This will allow the crackers to soak up the juices from the tomato. The mixture should set up to be a stiff paste – if too dry, add some more tomato juice.
    Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Form the tomato mixture into patties, and place in the hot oil. Fry the patties, flipping only once, until golden on both sides.

Sweet Tomato Bread Pudding
    1 pint tomato puree
    1/2 c. water
    1/2 c. brown sugar, packed (honey also works well)
    2 c. toasted bread cubes (store bought plain croutons or stale bread also work)
    1/2 c. melted butter

Bring the tomato puree, water, and brown sugar to a boil. Pour melted butter over toasted bread cubes. Pour heated puree mixture over buttered toast cubes. Bake in 1 quart casserole 45 minutes in 400 degree oven.

Green Tomato Cake

2 1/4 c sugar
    1 c liquid fat
    3 eggs
    2 t vanilla
    3 c flour
    1 t salt
    1 t baking powder
    1 t cinnamon
    1/2 t nutmeg
    1 c nuts
    1 c raisins
    2 1/2 c fine diced green tomatoes
    coconut
    Preheat oven to 350. Beat sugar, fat, eggs and vanilla until fluffy. Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg; slowly beat into egg mixture. Stir in nuts, raisins and tomatoes. Pour into greased 9x13and top with coconut. Bake about an hour, or until it passes the toothpick test.

Green Tomato Crisp

Peel, core, and thinly slice green apples (add 1 apple for every 3-4 tomatos if you want)
    About ½ c brown sugar for every 1 ½ c tomato/apples and toss all that together and put in pan.
    Thinly sprinkle with salt and vanilla
    Mix flour and sugar about 3 to 1, then add butter to make crumbles and sprinkle on top of the tomatoes and bake like a crisp.

GREEN TOMATO PIE
    4 c green tomatoes, sliced
    Boiling water
    1 1/2 c sugar
    2 T flour
    1 t cinnamon
    1/4 t nutmeg
    1 T lemon juice
    2 T butter
    2 crusts
    Preheat the oven to 425 cover the tomato slices with boiling water and let sit 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Mix the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Fix one crust in the pan and spread 1/2 cup of the sugar mixture in the pie shell. Arrange the well-drained tomato slices on top. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Top with the remaining sugar mixture. Dot with butter. Cover with crust, vent and well seal the edges. Bake about15 minutes at 425 and then lower the temperature to 375 and bake 30 minutes.

Fancy Bread Dressing
    Half pound bacon, crisped and crumbled
    1 c fine chop celery
    ½ c fine chop onion
    3 thick slices white bread, cube
    3thick slices wheat bread, cube
    2 c corn bread, cubed (will be very crumbly)
    Handful of fresh (half handful dry) parsley
    1 – 2 t dry sage to taste
    1 t thyme
    1 t rosemary
    1 c broth
    1 c tomato puree
    Saute celery and onion in bacon fat. Toss breads with seasonings and add the onion, celery, broth, and tomato.
    Bake in greased dish, uncovered, about 30-35 minutes or until crunchy on top.

Green Beans and Tomatoes

2 T butter
    1 chopped onion
    1 pint green beans, drained
    ½ pint chopped tomatoes, drained
    1 c white sauce
    ½ c mushrooms if desired
    1 t worcestershire
    Melt butter and saute onions in it. Mix everything together and bake about 30 minutes.
    **Can use 1 can cream of mushroom soup in place of white sauce and mushrooms. My family likes it with an alfredo type sauce (basically white sauce with some minced garlic and made with cream instead of milk)

Stewed Tomatoes and Okra
    1 lb fresh okra, sliced
    3 large tomatoes
    1 bell pepper, chopped
    ½ small onion, chopped
    Salt to taste
    Boil okra 5 minutes (less at lower altitudes probably), drain. Mix all ingredients and simmer 15-20 minutes. Adjust salt to taste.
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

Sweet Tomato Bread Pudding
    1 pint tomato puree

1/2 c. water
    1/2 c. brown sugar, packed (honey also works well)
    2 c. toasted bread cubes (store bought plain croutons or stale bread also work)
    1/2 c. melted butter

Bring the tomato puree, water, and brown sugar to a boil. Pour melted butter over toasted bread cubes. Pour heated puree mixture over buttered toast cubes. Bake in 1 quart casserole 45 minutes in 400 degree oven.
    This is soooo good! drool drool drool

Those other recipes look great too!
    They will fight against you but will not overcome you,
    for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the Lord. Jer 1:19

Assume nothing, question everything.
    -James Patterson

There's no excuse not to have a good attitude.
    Unless you're out of booze and pills, of course.
    -George Ure

My mother in law sent me her recipe for green tomato preserves (a sweet jelly) that she made for years.

Big hit with hubby who said it brought memories of his childhood back to him.

ouch!
    No green tomato fun for me this fall. The plants died from blight.
    Reading the really good recipes ....well it hurt!

So, I'll print them out for better years.
    Thanks, looks really yummy....sniff.

pk
    Got water?

I found a new tomato recipe that is beyond delicious! It's also easy...which I LIKE.

Creole Tomatoes
    (served 11 with no leftovers)

6 large tomatos
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    2 large green bell peppers, finely chopped
    salt to taste
    cayenne to taste
    6 T butter or drippings (I used bacon grease)
    3 T flour
    1 1/2 c shaken milk (this would be like half and half? - it's milk with the cream shaken back in)

Cut the tomatos in half, crosswise and put in a cake pan with cut side up. Sprinkle with onion, bell peppers, salt and cayenne. Put 3 T of the butter or drippings on each piece, dividing evenly. Put about 1/2-3/4 c water in the pan and bake at 425 degrees until tender.

Melt the remaining butter or drippings and brown the flour in it. Add the milk and the liquid from the baking pan of tomatos, stir till boiling and cook about 3 minutes or so until thick. Put the tomatoes on toast squares and pour sauce over them.
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

Green Tomato Casserole

1 1/2 sleeves of buttery crackers (ritz type) crushed
    3-4 large green tomatoes sliced 1/4 inch thick
    pint banana peppers, drained
    half pound pepper jack cheese, shredded
    2 T butter

Arrange half the cracker crumbs in a greased 9x13 pan. Arrange a layer of half the green tomato slices, then half the banana peppers and half the cheese. Repeat. Put the rest of the cracker crumbs on top and dot with butter.

bake, covered at 325 for one hour. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes.

**This was really good, and as a sidedish, it served all 11 of us with no leftovers.

Copying/pasting/printing

And trying this week. I'm an in-the-box thinker and all I could think to do was can crushed tomatoes and sauce.

Thank you all for the great ideas!

And more importantly, thank God I have actual tomatoes this year (in spades!) and can try these yummy dishes.