Thread: Put your kohlrabi recipes here, please!

Default Put your kohlrabi recipes here, please!

I use it in stews and soups, but also in the following recipes. It's a great vegetable - easy to grow and keeps well in the root cellar. Please post your kohlrabi recipes, too!

Kohlrabi Apple Slaw
    1/4 c cream
    1 T fresh lemon juice
    1/2 T mustard or dressing (we use western dressing, MIL uses spicy mustard)
    1/2 t sugar (I leave this out when I use the dressing, but it is needed with the mustard)
    Salt & pepper to taste
    1 pound fresh kohlrabi, trimmed, peeled, grated
    2 apples, peeled, grated (you kind of want an equal amount of kohlrabi and apples or to taste)
    Whisk cream lightly - not into whipped cream, but slightly whipped. Add the rest of the ingredients.

Kohlrabi Squash Peirogies
    3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
    1 t ginger
    2 kohlrabies, peeled and cut into small cubes
    1 large summer squash, cut into small cubes
    4 green onions, tops and whites, sliced
    1 radish, minced
    1 T. oil
    1 T. butter
    salt and pepper to taste
    dash of nutmeg

1 pie crust recipe
    1 egg

Heat oil and butter and brown garlic and ginger. Add kohlrabi and salt and pepper. Cook 3-4 minutes, or until kolhrabi is starting to soften. Add squash cubes and cook for 3-4 more minutes. Add onions, radish, nutmeg and another pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well and cook for a minute or so and then let cool.

Roll out dough to be a little thinner than pie crust typically is. Use a cereal bowl to cut out 6 inch-ish circles from the dough. It should yield about 15, give or take depending on your size, dough recipe, and thickness.

Set the oven to 425. Beat the egg white with a bit of water to make a wash. To make the empanadas, spoon 1-2 T of kohlrabi and squash mixture into the center of a circle of dough. (It’s better to have less filling than too much or the empanadas won’t hold together. Feel out the right ratio that allows you to close off the dough without any filling popping out.) Dip your finger in water and run it around the outside edge of the dough. Fold dough over the filling to create a half circle and press down edges with a fork.

Set them on a cookie sheet, prick once with a fork, and brush with the egg wash. Bake 8-10 minutes and then turn them over and bake another 5-8 minutes until brown and flaky.

** You can just make the filling and serve that, or you can add a bit of chicken or beef to the mixture and make them meatier. I sometimes make them smaller and fry them, but it takes a long time and makes a bigger mess.

Kohlrabi Casserole

3 c. diced kohlrabi
    2 c. diced potatoes
    4 bacon slices, diced
    1 c. finely diced ham, chicken, turkey or beef
    2 T. minced onion
    1 T. fresh parsley, or 1 t dried
    1/4 t. paprika (I use the sweet version)
    1/8 t. cayenne (or more to taste)
    1/2 t herbs de provence
    Pinch of thyme
    1/2 t Worcestershire sauce
    6 eggs, separated
    2 T. flour
    1/2 c. grated cheese
    1/2 t. salt
    Pepper to taste

Set oven to 325. Parboil potatoes until just tender, about 10 minutes. Blanch or steam kohlrabis until just tender, about 5 minutes. While those are steaming, saute the bacon and pour off all but 2 tablespoons of bacon grease, and saute the ham, onion, parsley, and herbs for 2 minutes. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce. Mix the kohlrabis, potatoes, bacon, ham and vegetable mixture. Whisk together the 6 egg yolks and the flour and mix with the kohlrabi mixture. Mix in the cheese, salt, and pepper to taste. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold into the kohlrabi mixture. Spoon into a grease shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the top is golden.

Glazed Kohlrabi and Carrots
    2 lbs Kohlrabi, peeled & julienned
    2 med. size carrots, peeled & juliened
    2 T. chopped celery
    2 c. broth
    2 T. lemon, orange, or pineapple juice
    2 T. honey
    2 T butter

Cook kohlrabi, carrots and celery in the broth until sort of tender (6-8 minutes). Add the rest of the ingredients, toss, heat through, and serve.

Roasted Kohlrabi

4 kohlrabi peeled, halved, and sliced about 1/4 inch thick
    1 T oil
    1 clove garlic, minced
    salt and pepper to taste (about 1 t salt and 1/2 t pepper?)
    1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (fresh is best)

Set oven to 450

Combine oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Toss kohlrabi slices in the olive oil mixture to coat. Spread kohlrabi in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven until browned, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally in order to brown evenly. Remove from oven and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Return to the oven to allow the Parmesan cheese to brown, about 5 minutes.

Kahlrabi Chips (I almost forgot them!)
    Slice VERY thin (I use the thinnest setting on a mandoline slicer)
    Fry in oil like potato chips and salt and pepper. The children LOVE these (and they like it even better when I slice some big carrots (the ones you missed pulling and are now woody) and fry them up with the kohlrabi - they call them veggie chips and love them every bit as much as potato chips.
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

I got this recipe from a missionary who stayed with us. I have not tried it yet.

Kohlrabi Dal
    1-2 medium kohlrabi
    1½ cups yellow split moong dal (As far as I could tell, these are yellow split peas or you can use lentils)
    1 medium onion, diced
    2-3 Serrano chilies, chopped finely
    4-5 cloves of garlic, crushed
    1 T fresh grated ginger
    water as needed
    salt to taste
    curry to taste
    1 t oil

skin and chop the kohlrabi to bite-size chunks. Heat the oil and saute the onions, ginger and garlic till onion is clear. Add the chilies, kohlrabi and dry moong dal, about 3 cups of water, some salt, cover and simmer on medium low heat till kohrabi and moong dal are cooked through. Adjust salt and curry to taste.
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

So shoot me - I am organizing my recipe baskets today, and I like to share whether you want me to or not!

Stuffed Kohlrabi

6 medium kohlrabi, peeled
    salt and pepper to taste
    6 slices day old bread or bread crumbs
    1 large onion
    1 lb ground meat
    1 t paprika
    1 egg
    6 slices bacon
    1/2-1 c tomato or pasta sauce

Chop the kohlrabi leaves and set aside. Boil the kohlrabi in salted water about 20 minutes then let them cool. Cut off the tops (save them) and scoop out the insides.

Finely dice the kohlrabi innards and the onion. Mix with the bread and seasonings. Add in the kohlrabi leaves and egg. Stuff the kohlrabi (put a T or so of sauce in each one if desired) and then put their tops back on. Lay or coil a slice of bacon on top of each kohlrabi. Spoon a bit of sauce (or you can use broth) over the top of each one and pour the rest in the bottom of the pan. Bake at about 400 for 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer shows the meat is done.

Scalloped Kohlrabi

1 large onion, thinly sliced
    2 large kohlrabi, peeled and thinly sliced
    2 T flour
    1/2 stick butter
    1 c milk
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 c grated cheese is optional if you want Au Gratin

Saute the onion in a bit of butter and put in a shallow, greased, dish. toss the kohlrabi in the flour and lay the kohlrabi slices on top of the onions. Pour on the milk and dot with the rest of the butter. Bake in a hot oven (350-400) for 90 minutes or so until tender.

Cool Summer Snack Sticks
    (another favorite of my childrens on hot summer days)

1 kohlrabi
    1 cucumber
    1 green onion
    lettuce

very finely slice the kohlrabi, cucumber, and onion. soak the lettuce leaves in warm water a couple of minutes- until they can be rolled. Pat the lettuce leaves dry, then either put the veggies in the lettuce and roll it up (should be wet enough that it sticks that way) and dip in ranch dressing or cucumber sauce....OR.....mix one package cream cheese with 1 envelope ranch dressing mix. Spread a T of that on each lettuce leaf and top with the chopped veggies and a sprinkle of dill, then roll up.

End of Garden Egg Rolls
    (not really kohlrabi, but yummy anyway)

3 T oil
    6-7 c of finely shredded/diced/chopped cabbage, turnip greens, chard, kale, in any combination
    4 kohlrabi or turnips, diced
    6 carrots or beets diced
    8 radishes diced
    2 onions, diced
    3-4 cloves garlic minced
    1 T minced ginger
    salt and pepper
    3 T hoysin sauce (sp??)
    1 recipe egg roll wrappers
    flour and water to make paste

Saute the diced vegetables, garlic and seasonings about 5 minutes. Over low heat, add the leafy vegetables and hoysin sauce and cook another 5 minutes or so. Fill each egg roll wrap with 2-3 T filling and roll like a burrito. Mix the flour and water to make a watery paste and use it to "glue" the wrappers shut on the last fold. Deep fry 3-4 minutes, or bake about 8 minutes in a really hot oven.

**You can add meat to these, but I cook it first.

thank-you
    Deep calleth unto deep at the noise of thy waterspouts:... - Psalm 42:7

last one.....unless I find more. My MIL loves these....the rest of us make them for her, but then we don't like beets :)

Vegetable Latkes

2 kohlrabi grated
    2 beets grated
    1/2 large onion, chopped
    1 egg, beaten
    1 T crumbs (she likes it best with Ritz crumbs, but any will work)
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    oil, butter, or a combination

Grate the kohlrabi and squeeze out excess moisture. Mix with beets, onion,egg, crumbs, and salt and pepper. Using your fingers or a fork (not an electric mixer), mix gently until the mixture comes together.

Heat oil (equal parts oil and butter work best - maybe 2 T each?). Make patties and fry about 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Dip in yogurt, sour cream, ranch dressing, etc.