Thread: Green tomatoe recipes

Default Green tomatoe recipes

I have four buckets of green tomatoes because of an early hard freeze last night. Any recipes for green tomatoes would be very appreciated !!!! VERY !!! :)

second that..... :>)

green tomato crisp, pie, and cake here...

http://www.thetreeofliberty.com/vb/s...ad.php?t=78298
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

Default Green tomato recipes

I LOVE fried green tomatoes. Here's how I do mine.
    Think these would make great BLTs on toasted sourdough bread. Might try the BLT with a little pesto or basil mayo too. This is to the best of my memory how Granny does them and how I now do it. I added the Creole Seasoning. I like to fry them in bacon grease when I can. You could also serve them with a chiffenade of fresh basil and crumbled feta or goat cheese.
    • 1 egg
    • 1 tablespoon milk or buttermilk
    • 1/3 cup flour
    • 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
    • 1 teaspoon emeril's bam creole seasoning
    • 3 firm green tomatoes
    • vegetable oil (for frying) or bacon grease

1. Beat egg and milk together.
    2. In a separate bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, and seasoning.
    3. Core tomatoes and cut into thin slices, about ¼” thick. Dip tomato slices in egg, then cornmeal mixture to coat.
    4. Heat bacon grease in a nonstick pan. In batches, brown tomatoes on both sides, turning once (1-2 minutes per side). Remove with slotted spatula to paper towels to drain.
    5. Serve immediately with hot sauce and lemon wedges. You could also sprinkle with some fresh Parmesan cheese.

Or... How about canning some green tomatoes to make fried green tomatoes in the winter. Best if you use wide-mouth jars. Here is a recipe I plan to use from Recipezaar:
    green tomatoes (as many as you want)
    salt

1. Slice green tomatoes into pint jars.
    2. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt to each jar.
    3. Cover with boiling water.
    4. Put lids on and put in water bath canner.
    5. Bring to boil and boil for 5 minutes.
    6. Remove from canner, tighten caps and cool on counter top.
    7. Can also use quart jars, adding 1 teaspoon salt.

Also, I'm considering dehydrating some to see how they reconstitute for fried green tomatoes. Anybody done this?

Also there are some nice looking recipes for Green Tomato Chutny floating around, I'd make mine with apple if I decide I need some. Also Green Tomato Catsup, though many of the recipes I found yesterday had cabbage which is a no go to cook anywhere around DH he just hates the smell.

I gather they also make resonable pickles...I loved my fresh fried green ones I had at lunch today.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

If you wrap some of your green ones in newspaper, lay them out on your basement floor (where it won't freeze) in a single layer and leave for a week or so, they will ALL ripen up nicely and your can proceed to make your regular spagettie sauce or whatever. They will be just like ripened on the vine. I did it that way for years as our weather is so short here in the North East. AL

you can also pickle green tomatoes. very good with beans or greens.

if small, use tomato whole, otherwise quarter tomatoes, place in jar along with cayanne peppers and whole garlic cloves. bring vinagar to a boil and pour over mixture. seal with flat and ring.

excellant to pull out in the middle of winter and have with a pot of beans and cornbread.

respectfully,
    hatch
    85% of any human population is sheep. Deprived of leadership, they mill around uselessly. At the slightest provokation, they'll run blindly, easily herded. When the wolves take one down, the rest will breath a sigh of relief, convinced and relieved that they're save, oblivious to the fact that they're by no means off the menu