Default cracker recipes - includin saltine, grahams, wheat thins

Basic White Crackers (like saltines)

2 c flour
    1/4 t Salt
    2 T butter softened
    1 c Milk
    Salt for the tops (opt.)

Preheat oven to 325~ F.

In a large bowl or in the food processor, combine the flour and salt. Cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Slowly mix in enough of the milk to form a dough that will hold together in a cohesive ball. If necessary, add up to 1 additional tablespoon of milk.

Divide the dough into 3 equal portions for rolling.
    On a floured surface or pastry cloth, roll the crackers paper thin. They will look almost translucent.

If desired, lightly sprinkle the tops with salt and gently roll over the dough with your rolling pin. With a sharp knife, carefully cut the crackers into 2-inch squares.

Handling them gently, transfer them to an ungreased baking sheet.

Prick each cracker in 2 or 3 places with the tines of a fork.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.

Cool on a rack. Yield: 95-100.

Graham Crackers

1 C flour

1 1/4 C graham flour (my local grocer orders it for me)
    5 T sugar

1/2 t salt
    1/2 t baking soda

1 t baking powder
    1/4 t cinnamon

3 T unsalted chilled butter cut into small pieces
    1/4 C Oil

2 T honey
    1 T molasses

1/4 C cold water
    1 t vanilla extract

Blend together all dry ingredients in a bowl. With a pastry blender, food processor or your finger tips, work in the butter and oil until small even particles are formed. Mix together the honey, molasses, water and vanilla extract and sprinkle this mixture gradually into the dry ingredients, tossing with a fork until the liquid is evenly incorporated. Press the dough together into a ball. It may be crumbly, but do not add water. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for several hours or overnight.

Halve the dough. Let it soften for about 15 minutes. Roll the dough out to pie crust thickness. Prick the dough all over with a sharp tined fork and then cut into approximately 2.5" squares or cut with a biscuit cutter. Transfer to a parchment covered baking sheet with a spatula, placing them very close together, almost touching. Repeat the process with the remaining pieces of dough. Re-roll and cut the scraps.

Bake the crackers on the middle shelf of a preheated 350°F oven for about 15 minutes or until browned (graham cracker color). If underbaked the crackers will not develop either flavor or texture. Transfer from the parchment to a wire rack and let cool completely, then store in an airtight container. If the container is airtight these will keep for weeks.

Homemade Wheat Thins

1 3/4 c Whole wheat flour
    1 1/2 c White flour
    1/3 c Oil emulsified in blender
    -with 3/4 tsp salt and 1 cup
    -water

Mix dry ingredients, add oil/water mixture. Knead as little as possible.
    Make smooth dough then roll as thin as possible on ungreased cookie sheet (not more than 1/8 inch). Mark with knife to size of crackers desired, but do not cut through. Prick each cracker a few times with fork. Sprinkle lightly with salt or onion salt as desired. Bake at 350 F until crisp and light brown for 30-35 minutes.

Origin: Homemaking Handbooklet, Mormon Church, 1978. Shared by: Sharon
    Stevens
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

Thanks for the recipes...regular crackers was EXACTLY what I was looking for
    Old enough to remember

btt 4 I loose it again.

Thank you for bumping

drive
    Grow old along with me, the best is yet to be - Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Can I throw one in?

Cheese crackers

12 oz sharp cheddar, grated
    2 sticks butter, room temp
    2 c. flour
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. cayenne peper
    1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Mix all with hands to warm/melt/mix the cheese and butter into the batter. Roll dough on floured surface to about 1/4" thick. Cut into circles. Bake at 450 degrees for 5 minutes on the bottom oven rack then 5 minutes on the top rack.

Ritz????

anyone know how to make Ritz crackers? they are our all time favorite
    There is Only Jesus--no other worthy of honors or prayers or devotion. Anything or anyone else are end times deceptions distracting us from fully knowing Christ. There is No Other.

CANNABIS MEDICINE RECIPES & INFO
    https://cannacancerblog.wordpress.com/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by GoodEnergy View Post
    Can I throw one in?

Cheese crackers

12 oz sharp cheddar, grated
    2 sticks butter, room temp
    2 c. flour
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. cayenne peper
    1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Mix all with hands to warm/melt/mix the cheese and butter into the batter. Roll dough on floured surface to about 1/4" thick. Cut into circles. Bake at 450 degrees for 5 minutes on the bottom oven rack then 5 minutes on the top rack.
    I saw an easy way to shape these on the Food Network, but can't remember whose show.....anyway, you roll the whole mixture into a log shape, wrap in waxed paper, and chill until firm. Then you just slice off what you need to bake. This also helps them to turn out uniform in size and thickness.

Thumbs up

Yes! By all means Good, post away! We can always use more recipes in the Cookbook. Especially if you have any good ones using basic prep foods.

She

I have not personally tried these (yet), but it looks like this Lady did her research for getting the "right" Ritz cracker: They LOOK wonderful!

http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2011/0...rs-recipe.html

What a wonderful site Birdlady, I think I'm hooked!
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats