Thread: Split Pea Hush Puppies or fritters

Default Split Pea Hush Puppies or fritters

I know, it sounds gross, but we love these! They are really good with a tomato-y stew or soup.

3 c. split peas
    12 c. water
    2 c milk
    4 eggs
    3 c. flour
    4 t. baking powder
    2 t. salt
    1/2 t. each cayenne and black pepper
    2 t garlic powder
    4 t. onion powder

Simmer peas in water for 30 minutes or until partly tender. Drain peas and let cool to just warm. Add milk and stir until soupy. Add egg, flour, baking powder, salt and seasonings. Mix well to thick batter. Heat 1/4 c oil in large skillet. Use a scant quarter cup per fritter and fry both sides until crispy.

for hush puppies, add flour to a thicker batter consistency
    Last edited by Micah68; 10-06-2009 at 12:32 PM.
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

Sounds like I would love these.

Thanks!
    "Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready." Revelation 19:7